Photo

Changed Crank Angle Sensor And It's Now Running Worse Than Ever....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Avl_Paul

Avl_Paul

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

Hello all,

I'm chasing an idle hunting problem and have ruled out most of the usual suspects.  I've started changing sensors one at a time (even though my MEMS is not showing any faults).  After changing the Crank Angle Sensor, it's now running worse than ever.  Will hardly idle and stalls regularly.   Do you have to do an ECU Reset or Calibration of any kind after changing the sensor using the MEMS?  

Could I have installed it upside down or something like that?  I could put the other one back in and see if gets better.

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:33 PM

Where did you get the new sensor from?

#3 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:09 PM

If you have not got diagnostic equipment , you will be changing sensors for no reason , the costs soon tot up, see if there's someone close to you with an ACR4 or equivalent, there's a list of people on the forum who are willing to let people use theirs
Check all vacuum pipes and elbows for splitting if your car is an SPI

Edited by hunterg30, 31 July 2019 - 07:14 PM.

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

put the old one back in see what happens 

#5 Avl_Paul

Avl_Paul

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for feedback.  Steve220, I got the sensor from MiniSport.  I accidentally ordered 2 so can always try the other one but I think I'll go back to mine first.

Hunterg30 -  As I mentioned I have a MEMS - I think mine is the ACR3.  I've been troubleshooting this problem for a few years and am not changing sensors entirely blindly.   I find the diagnostics in the ACR pretty limited but it is good at looking as sensor feedback.  For example, I know my temp sensors are reading correctly.  And my O2 sensor is at least showing the right cycling behavior.  I've ruled out the vacuum tubes in past by replacing but I actually just went ahead and ordered a complete new set of Mini ones from England since some of mine were

I just remembered that I DID notice on MEMS last night that my Throttle Position feedback is NOT changing (either on its own or when I press the throttle).  I totally forgot about that after going out to dinner -crap.  I bet that is the real issue. 

ukcooper - yeah, that's the answer I would have given myself too.  Just good troubleshooting if a bit of a PIA.

Thanks all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users