Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

Hi Guys,
Just got my hif38 strapped on (thanks for telling me i needed to modify the bulkhead slightly... Great blokes!!!) and it started first time!!! As i have changed the needle to an AAA (as stage three kit fitted) i want to get all the timing and tuning right. Apart from the bible does anybody know of a decent "tuning from scratch" guide on the net. Have spent nearly two days now and have got nowhere close. I mean: do i take the filter off and take out the vacuum advance to tune or not? Need help gents before i drive to work on monday

Cheers my Badgers!!!
Jez

#2 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

erm, you don't need to modify the bulkhead to get an HIF38 on, at least you shouldn't...

I got an HIF44 on mine and it sits fine!

Tuning, hmmm, I dunno... sorry, try Vizard stuff...

D

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

dude. your gonna need that needle profiled. got a AAA on my 998 with stage 1 exhaust. It ran great before the exhasut (halfed the throttle spindle, K&N filter, stubstack, slightly longer induction) and i can get it right. get to someone who can do rollers and needle profiling.

#4 Gizzum

Gizzum

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Local Club: None atm

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:30 PM

Got it all going and i think in the right ball park are far as fuel mixture. Took the filter off and ran with the vacuum advance connected. then lowered the idle til it was just running... then adjusted the mixture until idle was at a peak then readjusted lowered the idle as before then retweaked the mixture. is this right as i took it for a long drive and it felt fine but is running hot (just under the red). Does that mean its running lean? As i have been running without a thermostat for a while as i had this problem with the old carb but now not so sure it is the mixture that is giving me the hot running.

Help!!!

Adam, thanks for the advice but mine seams to run o.k. It does differ for each setup tho'? you need to get a tuned head on yours, mine is such a giggle to drive with the stage 3 head.

Also, when the hif is on it hits the bulkhead at the bottom of the round opening into the cab. I had to cut away the bottom of the round opening right down to the bulkhead weld to fit the carb in. Is this normal. I have a minispeed alloy inlet. I've said it.... minispeed! theres my problem. Any body else have this problem running with a hif38?

Edited by Gizzum, 21 October 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

my El Gordo was great, untill the exhaust. picked up well nice and perky.

then the exhaust ruined it. on carbs tho. i had to cut a hole for mine too. got an hs4, fitted an new manifold with the exhust and i had to cut a hole to allow for the bottom waxstat bit.

easyest way to get round that is to not use an isolation mount as one of the mini mags says to use but longer manifodl better.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

Do NOT run the engine with the filter off! Theres no need, and it will only let carp into the engine that will damage it!

Use WinSU (computer program - use google to find it) to work out which needle you need. Then you can get the mixture correct and set up the timing.

Have you got a Haynes manual? The initial set up procedure for carb and timing is stated in there.

Timing should be done at 1500rpm, with the vac advance pipe off. Carb tuning should be done at idle I believe, with everything attached.

Once you've got it set up initially, you'll need have it rolling roaded, so the needle can be fine tuned so you get the best from your modifications.

#7 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 21 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

the hif carb wil fit fine with a maniflow manifold or mg but others do cause problems with bulkhead clearance!!

save your time and go for a rolling road!! lean mixture COULD be causing hot running which isnt good!!

could also be thermostat, water pump, radiator, a whole manor of things!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users