3 replies to this topic

#1 rodandtom

rodandtom

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:20 AM

When I restored my 94 sprite I went from 12s to 10s for the look. Now I've run them for a while I'm thinking of going back to 12s. Any gothchas I need to be aware of? I know I might need to adjust the hi-los for clearance but I'm thinking about the hub itself. Any reason why they shouldn't just go straight on?

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

The hubs are different as are the cv joints and drive flanges

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,952 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

Just fit the wheels. The size is next to no difference so you should not need to even change the ride height.

CV joints are the same. And you don’t need to change the drive flanges.

#4 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

I encountered an issue with the drive flanges on mine when I changed to 12's so you WILL need to check this.

The problem with mine was the central raised section surrounding the hub nut (spigot if you will) was actually a small amount larger than the centre bore of the wheels (in my case standard 4.5x12 rover alloys) and caused the wheel to not seat correctly or flat on the flange. I ran with the car for ages like this none the wiser but someone driving next to me noticed wheel wobble (I run knobbly rally tyres on the car so there was always a certain amount of steering wheel wobble.... But this was alloy wheel wobble!)

So..... Long winded way of saying.... Whatever 12" wheel you choose,just double check it sits nice and flat against the drive flange rather than like mine didn't and rock ever so slightly.

If this does happen, no drama, just replace the drive flange which is easy enough. You may also find your wheel studs to be too short if the centre of the new wheel is thicker so maybe watch out for that too.

Other than that, no reason to worry at all and get the wheels you want slapped on (just double check what I have mentioned).

Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users