r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 02 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

Hello,

I recently bought a set of the mentioned stud set from Retro Minis Ltd. that arrived here today. They are advertised as an alternative to the well-known ARP studs but less costly but not cheap with nearly £70 plus carriage.

On the enclosed photo you can see what arrived here today.

While the four long studs seem to be of good quality the rest is rubbish, not even the level of the standard studs. Heavy washers as advertised is not what I got.

I am very disappointed and absolutely not satified with the service I received. A complete ripp-off, I feel. If that is high quality Engish engineering as mentioned on the site of Retro Minis, then Good Night.

I wish I had saved the money and bought the real ones from Mr Gary Holzapfel & Son in California.

Regards,

Helmut

http://www.retromini...roducts_id=1229

Attached Files

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:55 PM

We have laws in England about goods that are either not as described or not of the quality described.

They may be the quality described, but they are certainly "Shop-soiled"

Have you considered contacting the company and enclosing the photo (before the 31st October) and politely asking for a refund ?

#3 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:54 PM

You need to contact retro minis and either get a set as described in the listing or a refund asap.

#4 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:18 AM

yes, I wrote to them,but no answer yet. When you consider that a set of ARPs always include four small studs incl. washers and nuts for holding the rocker posts the price advantage diminishes. So never again from an unknown source.

#5 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 05:55 AM

As a newbie here, I’ve been looking at the various A Series suppliers and Retromini have popped up a few times in my searches. Maybe they shouldn’t feature in my purchases.

As for you head studs, as a Minor owner I bought a set of studs from ESM, and as always I’m very happy with what they supplied. I appreciate that they’re of limited use to most of you though. https://www.morrismi...ashers-p1238182

#6 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:10 AM

Also, the originals had a 5/16 UNC bolt on the thermostat end, not a 3/8 UNC stud

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 03 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

Also, the originals had a 5/16 UNC bolt on the thermostat end, not a 3/8 UNC stud

Although true, even the ARP set includes 2 extra 3/8UNC studs for the 11 stud.

#8 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

One think i like with the ARP sets is the hex in the top of the stud, which enables you to wind the stud out easily in the car allowing you to slide the head forwards off of the manifolds, especially usefull in turbo motors where rear acess is especially limlited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users