20 replies to this topic

#16 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 02:30 PM

The dealership did all three on mine but they got subcontractors to do the work. To my knowledge ziebart only did the rustproofing.

#17 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 03:53 PM

The dealership did all three on mine but they got subcontractors to do the work. To my knowledge ziebart only did the rustproofing.

Thanks! On closer inspection the sunroof is branded "Britax". It seems dealers often fitted these around that time. Probably they did the exterior vinyl roof covering as well. So basically whoever bought my car new wasn't very good at saying "no" to dealers. I'm very glad she got the Ziebarting done though.

#18 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 October 2023 - 07:03 PM

I bought a new 1980 1275gt and had the ziebart rust protection done, it was about £90 I think. I sold the car in 1992, it had spent all it's life out in the elements and after 12 years had no rust anywhere on it.
Anyone know if you can still get it done in the U.K.

I bought my 1979 car in London 1992. The guy who sold it to me (he was dealer-- it had had two private owners) said it had been "Ziebarted from new". You can see rubber plugs in various places where they pumped something in, and it's all undersealed. Anyway it has lasted very well, although obviously I have had to do a bit of welding here and there.

My car also has a vinyl roof-covering and a sunroof. Do you remember if Ziebart were offering those at the time? I don't think they were factory and it seems quite likely it was Ziebart who put them on. My theory is whoever bought it took it straight to them for a full pimping.

Again the company i worked for fitted Vinyl roofs and sunroofs so very likely done by the company carrying out the work. It was quite an interesting process seeing the vinyl roof being made and fitted.

#19 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 08:53 AM

Again the company i worked for fitted Vinyl roofs and sunroofs so very likely done by the company carrying out the work. It was quite an interesting process seeing the vinyl roof being made and fitted.

Yes, very likely, in this case probably somewhere in London since that is where the car is from. As for the vinyl roof it's looking a bit scruffy so anything you can remember about that process might be useful :) For now I've just put a few bits of tape on the worst bits.

It has grommets, thick underbody seal, and what looks like black paint on the boot floor and inside the boot door. The only places the car rusted were the front floors (where water collects) and the inner wings/front of sill/floor/A-panel, on both sides, I think basically due to mud sticking to the wheel arch. Also a tiny hole on one of the sills at the back. And the rear subframe but I replaced that back in the 90s.

#20 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 October 2023 - 02:22 PM

Yes, very likely, in this case probably somewhere in London since that is where the car is from. As for the vinyl roof it's looking a bit scruffy so anything you can remember about that process might be useful :) For now I've just put a few bits of tape on the worst bits.

It has grommets, thick underbody seal, and what looks like black paint on the boot floor and inside the boot door. The only places the car rusted were the front floors (where water collects) and the inner wings/front of sill/floor/A-panel, on both sides, I think basically due to mud sticking to the wheel arch. Also a tiny hole on one of the sills at the back. And the rear subframe but I replaced that back in the 90s.

Now bear in mind i was a very wet behind the ears 16 year old who did more watching than participating. The one chap who did all the work used various templates for the Vinyl roof's and an industrial sewing machine for all of the stitch work. Any trim pieces were bought but i have no idea where from.

The biggest thing i can remember from all of the work done was making sure that roof was clean as a whistle and the adhesive he used was evenly applied. He wife helped him to fit the vinyl to the car and it was a rapid application and had to be bob spot on especially if there were any seams involved.

The sunroof was always cut out with a jigsaw but only after the roof lining was dropped out of the way to ensure there were no cables etc. It was then cut to size once the roof cut was made. A template was always used and i would have thought most of them would have been Britax but again this was well over 40 years ago.

Now this was back in 1979 so things have changed over the years.

The Ziebart process (more a proprietary name) was extensive with different types of waxes and every car had specific points where holes were drilled if there was no other access. It was a messy job and baring in mind this was done on brand new cars with zero mielage mainly, the cars had to be thoroughly steam cleaned after (my main job) before being sent up to have a vinyl roof fitted if it was part of the deal. 

#21 mbolt998

mbolt998

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 08:58 PM

Many thanks for the explanation. I guess the vinyl roof is a bit like "wrapping" a car nowadays-- you need to make sure there are no air bubbles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users