13 replies to this topic

#1 manifesto-mini

manifesto-mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

for heavens sake and the love of god is there anyone out there who could help me please .... i hope so !

i have a knocking noise coming from the engine bay ... suspect = worn bushes BUT have now checked all of these and they are fine, besides i only replaced the frame and engine a few months ago with new bits all round. There is plenty of clearance between carb and bulkhead so it ain't that. Sounds as if coming from lower down as well.

It occurs when pulling away, or generally changing speed .... i feel like it may be something to do with the steering rack ?? could a worn joint be causing me this ? but then there is no knock when turning the wheel, going round corners etc.

Any further suggestions or help be grateful as I can no longer take the noise (plus i dont have a stereo so i cant ignore it!! ha ha ... )

thanking you

manifesto-mini

#2 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

There is one or two things it could be I guess.
Maybe the exhaust knocking somewhere?
Maybe an engine steady?

#3 Zenob1

Zenob1

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

Does it do it when you lift off the accelerator? and when you put it back on?

Could be you need to uprate your steady bar bushes.

Matt

#4 theoldtartspimp

theoldtartspimp

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Local Club: minis unlimited & sw-pc

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

my advice get a ultimate engine steady i had this problem i took the bonnet off drove up and down the road and even with new bushes and engine mounts there was quite a bit of movement which was allowing my filter to tap the bulkhead (sounded like it might be coming through on a couple of the more harsh gearchanges) fitted it i haven't had a problem since and i get more torque to the wheels

Edited by theoldtartspimp, 24 October 2006 - 01:04 PM.

#5 manifesto-mini

manifesto-mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

yea ... i think an ultimate engine steady is a good idea, 'tis a 1275 stage one so there is more torque than normal. So the steering rack theory is outa the window ?

Does it do it when you lift off the accelerator? and when you put it back on?

Could be you need to uprate your steady bar bushes.

Matt

well, yes and no (good answer heh!) it does tend to happen more when lifting the clutch up or when slowing down so it does sound like steady bar bushes ... mmm

thanks for this help by the way!

Edited by manifesto-mini, 24 October 2006 - 01:19 PM.

#6 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:24 PM

Change steady bar bushes (doesn't matter if they LOOK good). They cost less than a tenner so its silly not to. Don't know what car you have but if it's post 76, then open the bonnet and have someone turn the steering wheel left and right while you look at the engine/subframe. If they shift left/right a bit when the steering wheel is changing direction your subframe mounts are shot and need replacing.
Ultimate engine steady isn't the answer, the stock steady should be enough not to have serious knocks coming. Fix the problem rather than cover it up :errr:
Good luck!

#7 wilcooper

wilcooper

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

i got knocking when im in a certain gear with low revs normally 3-4, but occurs in 2nd. replaced engine mounts (worn ones) and subframe mount, didnt solve anything, think we found out that it is bottom ball joint which is pooped out/worn. gonna sort whilst having engine transplant.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:28 AM

Can you rock your engine back and forth? I'd say this is generally something to do with movement in an area where the engine connects to the car. So either your mounts are going, or there is corrosion where the steady bars connect to the car.

Have a look at the bulkhead where the engine steady connects just under the master cylinders, is it all solid?

Has the gearbox steady snapped and is now knocking?

I was going to suggest looking at the ultimate engine steady if you had one connected, I once forgot to tighten this up at the bulkhead end and it was knocking.

Also, physically try and move things like the exhaust manifold and gear linkage, things that are connected to both the engine and body, you may find something has a bit of movement in it that would cause knocking.

Another thing I've heard of is where the subframe bolts to the floor, if the floorpan cracks it can cause a knocking sound.

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:56 PM

my mate had a knocking sound from his mini when puting his foot down :'(

the local garage told him his gear box had gone :genius:

after giving the garage a lot of money for replacing the box it still made the same noise :xxx:

i lifted the carpet in the drivers foot well and found the problem :D

the floor plan had cracked just under the subframe mount :ermm:

same garage also gave him a MOT with this crack in the floor :dontgetit:

#10 MINImiser

MINImiser

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local Club: Runnin' AMOC

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

Any links for the engine steady?
Is this it? Clicky

Cheers

ED

#11 Steve@RetroDash

Steve@RetroDash

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

I had a loose subframe towerbolt causing some knocking. This was due to the stupid solid (metal) subframe mounts I bought which had corroded and disintegrated. They only lasted 12months.

#12 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

my sisters 106 just did this noise we were looking but couldnt find it. the next day, the balljoint came apart and the car went into the hedge. (sorry dont mean to scare you!). it was so worn the ball popped out of its holder! it was also knocking on pulling out of a corner. check these thoroughly, and also bottom arm bushes and tie bar bushes and top arm pin

#13 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

My 1st mini used to sound like someone smacked the underside of the car with a hammer when you pulled away or changed gear.... it was the exhaust!!

Some time later, the subframe mounts had parted and i went to pull away with my usuall gusto, and the front seam finishers flew off as the whole front end tried to separate itself from the rest of the car!!!

The same car had a drop bracket fitted which resulted in the steering column breaking ... thankfully i had just pulled into a layby at the time!!!!!

#14 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:05 PM

i rekon its a ball joint i have cahnged all my bushes and i mean all of them. for either alloy or deflex ones and it still made a knockin noise turns out it was a ball joint. >:genius: >:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users