#16 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Local Club: British Car Club of Charleston

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

I needed to fill in the hole in the floor in what was now the front compartment. I started by bending the front part of the rear seat pan down to make a front cover and box in the heel board. Then I cut up more of the good heavy steel from the old garden trailer and built a floor in five sections. I decided to use the inside of the front grill and valance panel as my attachment point and bring the floor down from there as sort of a skid plate. That's the bottom of the trailer buttoned up. I accidentally welded the shell to the frame in a couple of places just to make my life harder. 

ACtC-3eyAiGqz1A3l3xNLLrp9yjPP9LzMpTw-_me ACtC-3dMoRXsyAjNfLZeYbjXHEtgdK03Nlu6Vk3T

ACtC-3eynNLURP7AgIwpJ-Zvu3NFek-Kg_7xkqTt ACtC-3cJuFuf90OTwD5SjVf4b670S8v6iwiwfiZv

ACtC-3d3sy7uV-tYulSUkN2t2IwCMsv0uBgpRiRA ACtC-3fzG24v2NdfStH-xtphiVXfEBudzqAqj_o8

ACtC-3dRv0jcRevAICqSLuVGJzYYEjcqZD9t7NOA ACtC-3doaVm9YAc-8gH3P-P36zVYZcUUX6BWwUuE

Edited by Red Riley, 08 October 2020 - 08:24 PM.

#17 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:08 PM

I don't need the grill opening, so time to button that up. This method is used to convert a standard Mini front panel into an Elf/Hornet front, except in this case I'll be leaving it closed up. 

ACtC-3eW-8jEgg93bik2zYlRa8eA5D9Kd0emS3Ni ACtC-3fAmvXTahJ53GlL6_xpq04_p_NptF8uXsd4

ACtC-3dhJZgX0Vij-gVgBt5X_b8Ig-m0heSNmWAq ACtC-3cZnD0TINgmfQZix12QJ45um0v3RRk_5gcS

ACtC-3fByLu2qmD9li1Okmi9qxP8QvOz3xSiQKBZ ACtC-3cdVxBv3p1Gqe8bX2EQybIvuhCOkKH11rOI

#18 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:15 PM

Many hours of seam welding, rust-proofing, and seam sealing later. Unfortunately I left the rust converter on and didn't get it primed for a while. I had to take most of it back to metal and do it again. Don't leave the rust converter on without priming over it! It rusts. 

ACtC-3d6LSH8kzuAjMWqY0pXT9zf8ieKz2y923qp ACtC-3cdKzpD33OjCmkuxv7W-eqY_BT5MPneegLB

ACtC-3f2kLsyW3-DZFQN_js2-UT_42OUKZjvdvRx ACtC-3fDgPitFZNpTlna8cpiCGbhMcL7clK5P4z2

ACtC-3eGnKbr2d_0Pq2zzKdIAoTqQi3m4lpeuPMy ACtC-3e_nGUpsXamYRtMLhw8xkvAIZK8zdg9hRvM

ACtC-3eOBwiHH1XA11ZoSyfEpG7TH1nC0tGZVcLY

Edited by Red Riley, 08 October 2020 - 02:46 PM.

#19 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:08 PM

My plan involved keeping the parcel shelf intact since that's what the boot lid hinges mount to. So I needed to bring this edge all the way around. Then I needed to make a rain gutter. I ended up making some special tools to do the bending. I really wished I had a shrinker-stretcher for this job. But I made it work with what I had. It was an ugly process but I got there in the end.

ACtC-3fef08o-PZTnYzJYm02zynF4yDh5UuSBlay ACtC-3dg9LGMqD1VaNPIQr8XexJdJ0Z5ahypac23

ACtC-3c_n5SB580sBEQo1DIUtvY5z1UprmU1lCHb ACtC-3dSRNM7-23sMU3n2xBkxmidGi5y7bvZiLOt

ACtC-3fEjkhfbFD1BkxdzLeJtQDM8uqN6B3sHjlU ACtC-3chWHkJU0ref7OLE0csUHPj0TjW6VjUVnSe 

ACtC-3c9N1uxxfaTIQIOH1FiLxP1_yuj4Sxfyrmc

#20 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:16 PM

After some pondering, I decided that the flat boot floor was too floppy for my tastes. If I had had access to a bead roller I probably would have put some beads in the floor when I made it, but it needed something. So I decided what it needed was an inset box to make it more rigid. It would also give me a place for the big red beer cooler. At this point I didn't have enough steel left over from the garden trailer or the gov't surplus filing cabinet to make a box, so I decided to use this large sheet of flat metal that I found next to the road. I don't know why people leave these things just lying around. I wasn't sure what kind of metal it was, so I decided to pass on the welder for this part. I got some aluminum angle from the farm store, and pop-riveted it all together, then cut an appropriate sized hole in the floor and riveted it in. I seam sealed it and threw some paint on it at some later point. The cooler fit perfectly. Too bad I didn't think about trying it with the boot lid on. Hindsight is 20-20.

ACtC-3djQIzh-2ZI2mQLWdxcp5Tf4WKOE92kYYTS ACtC-3ffExfeP28ZDrmBNXXPVFOVsXeahzOfBezN

ACtC-3ficAWMTenyL5KyCcnrnm-tTzUsf0GAV-gN ACtC-3djbO3fhjZuSnHZVJrF5DGFTDe2CYCoWAur

#21 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 06:23 PM

The bonnet and boot lid that came with the car were in pretty poor shape. The boot lid had a huge patch of bondo attempting to fill a massive dent, and the bonnet was so scary and twisted it was giving me nightmares. When I found the pair of gray front wings that I used, I had also picked up a better boot lid that came from a Wolseley Hornet, so I had that covered. The bonnet came from the shed of the person who originally sold me the Elf. It started out being picked up by courier in Minneapolis, then when the guy drove directly into a tornado on the toll road in Indiana, ended up inside the car destined for the crusher at a salvage yard in northern Indiana. The driver eventually was able to extricate it from the salvage yard, then carried it with him on a Greyhound bus to South Carolina, and eventually I drove two hours to his home and picked it up from him. All at a cost of 60 bucks. It was still in better shape than the bent one that I had. 

Anyway, I needed a way to hold the bonnet and boot lid up, so I made these. The boot lid on the Elf and Hornets has a spring to hold them up, but the one I had was not usable, so I just made a prop rod like the bonnet one. It works.

ACtC-3cFgtPiPEoetXhU1NmsMtae7ImL3OzXFfaZ ACtC-3eTZi9OkUDDsfNU6FC-LiPpID8dL5KPxTFE

ACtC-3cMn7wuTnwsW-C9scYsL4yhi-Zl6xaotE5y 

ACtC-3eFtKxQOPttjV_8qqCAxLN7lsMONIqeLocf ACtC-3f-0Lz5R668rxBPE9Ygxy-BfBGzfbGzW3FT

ACtC-3cj-asKULhNxelCn_kR4TPw0dPRsJSC77Pa ACtC-3eUlPnxtLvTYEowBI_8XRiZuQf8eS4-Iw6P

#22 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:34 PM

At this point the majority of the welding and major assembly was done, with the exception of the top, so I thought I would get the frame under, get some primer on it, then throw some trim on and see how it would look. I even wired the lights for good measure.

ACtC-3cMHfR8Z1TftpNO3ri2JofpIE90h1YsdkSZ ACtC-3eR2VyySvwI2NY3eEDG9jsRAdO_Ayi5WaLG

ACtC-3eH6vqzJAf1EIxTyK4ia0SK6hGIPCuXRMFD ACtC-3cLjkNmtRFnP4UQOXb0s1wtcqnnjivcIcjF

ACtC-3f33lqy_Dil4eYRDvZMm4ueiT8N2vAQ91MT ACtC-3diCvDTmADCxsmlVmLazBK4ILdUFZsA2fWa

ACtC-3fUUMJlx4ZfDRXQEw1Kq_GzCOxDBr3UBMs3 ACtC-3eb38qB5g8PL7yrbAQbInT2p6lH-EKD43l1

#23 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:41 PM

I had thought long and hard about how to finish the top, and finally decided to just go for it and try to do a fiberglass dome in one shot, without building a mold. So I started with insulation foam glued up. Way too much. Lots of filing and shaping later I had what I thought would work. I had done a lot of research online and thought that fiberglass directly onto the foam was the way to go. It might have worked if I'd had the right kind of foam. Nope. The first attempt could have been used as a prop for a Flintstones movie.

ACtC-3e-Sg1hMDBlLafBgueNqvt7ypp1cfn5WvCa ACtC-3cm9YLlAWrdYKx1v-bmUhkbpSL2f8QhPvRV

ACtC-3fDu6V8NXCGiNGpIfnv21FuWi8jU2doCb-h ACtC-3cUrVkoGxb0oKg_SoJpNdL9iSvgvkevNa4W

ACtC-3erv4sml0x0895fF5V-SqR-ANkt2CzFXwQK

So, second try, this time I reshaped the foam and covered it in Bondo, then painted it in several layers of primer. I put 4 layers of glass cloth on and it came out pretty darn good. After I trimmed up the edges and dug out the foam, I had the final top/dome/roof. I used panel bond adhesive and used all of my clamps. By the way, this blue no-mix skim filler is crap. Don't use it. I wish I had sanded it all off before I painted. Oh well, live and learn.

ACtC-3fFxeEovzhDE1EvStNK3wIgqQndp_fS7kap ACtC-3en-DmIHbEUgt-D-YNMuxwk_m312xghCWTW

ACtC-3cITUj8s21mWwyQVBxLZTNe-fICdAXBYzwT ACtC-3fAdQif9Kna1z_HmCLTgQ6xjWt5ZMPAcRlz

ACtC-3czZmw6onM9mnp6RsTOpvCqzMB-4Q5k54gW ACtC-3ey1U0GXI3V8FdDGLI7_VHCd_Ga8CHA_ph8

ACtC-3e0T_u3QkY-8KB7HXl9yLdEFXq-nmkyGzqh

#24 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:51 PM

Okay, before I get to the end of this build, here is the towing setup. I heard of a guy in Texas making a batch of these Class II 1-1/4" receiver type hitches for Minis, and I asked him to make me one. I'm sorry, I can't remember who it was. Does anyone know? 
Since the Elf is about ten inches longer in the rear than a Mini, I knew I would have to make some adjustments. I know there is some argument about the proper way to put a hitch on a Mini. This one attaches to both the body and to the subframe, so it should equally piss off both camps. I look at it as adding another structural element to the subframe, tying it into the body at two more points. Anyway, since the receiver sits forward of the rear valance, it's almost invisible when the draw bar is off. I had a trailer shop make me an extended draw bar, and also added a second hole so it has two pins holding it on. I was slightly worried about the extra length causing some kind of weirdness when towing, but the trailer tongue is so short and the trailer follows so close that I've never felt any evidence of the tail trying to wag the dog. It works really well. 

ACtC-3dXgCVUMtsC1anT6cZimdTgmvvAyDCUk4W6 ACtC-3eJTA6pDduVlEZ7WAImwRIY4E8C8umYzxGH

ACtC-3eynxZAjSUuhXLQ6gFY1pnQJDxag4ctAnCw ACtC-3e-D_aaDeoov_h_wU3yg8QgnnYxKsbmxD7W

ACtC-3d0Oz9-eeTAfqUP4M6DlOJX_2d4xZcKn5Jy ACtC-3eFKMcelNaI5row-ykuoFlrGhnX7qdVsvBR

ACtC-3epirfd3_VqD2whMu599DQF4RgMdrXCvOe5

As for the wiring, I used a 5 wire trailer harness and tied into the stock Elf lights, plus added the side markers and the headlights into the running lights. I modified a pair of cheap ebay halogen headlight kits to use standard single filament taillight bulbs. I also added a third brake light strip with a blinker module so it pulsates when I hit the brakes. If you ever need to add trailer lights to a car, this module from e-Trailer works really well. https://www.etrailer...sha/119177.html It runs the trailer lights off of an independent fused circuit so they don't pull current from the car lights. 

Attached File  modulite.jpg   123.68K   0 downloads

ACtC-3eC7mTNPx_M8IpOtQ-lUY8hSHTX-Ktn1ptJ ACtC-3dS78A4wlQ6oeCcBzl8OUDpOgMPNkTKv3_x

ACtC-3dvsRAmjJR4EysQz5yeSMNSx3IxKvjXSu3A ACtC-3e0Jb6XA1D8yK2beKorPHkQLB-CTeyXSdx4

Edited by Red Riley, 31 August 2021 - 01:15 PM.

#25 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 09:34 PM

Awesome build! Great job!  :highfive:

#26 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:19 PM

I wanted to run the trailer with similar wheels to the car, and I found these 12 inch Minilites for super cheap. I know I bought them off of someone on the Mini Mania Forum, but like a lot of the parts for this project, I had them sitting around for so long I can't remember anymore who I got them from. They had some bad curb rash, and I thought I could get them presentable enough to just repaint them, but I wasn't happy with my attempt to sand out the rim damage. I took them into a local wheel repair shop and they did a really nice job welding up the rims and powder coated them. The color isn't a perfect match to the Superlights on Kreacher, but they look pretty good. I had this brand new set of 12 inch Yoko A539s that I had bought specifically for the trailer that had been on the shelf for probably almost ten years. They matched the 13 inch ones on the car at the time, but now I have Nankang AS-1s on the car. Oh well, they're pretty dang nice for trailer tires. 

ACtC-3cOFxeq8xq9ryswg0b-V6-9rvM2fycXme1S ACtC-3f7AOlz0YPTECQSZyAEYkACoK1xETGTIE-7

ACtC-3eXin0FmzxQvZ3mvy4kvRA-fYeMtSDayO8Z ACtC-3coEhpCMi1m44z_inVC3wSIjoX7cBWldF8e

ACtC-3eYDSnLPBtznDAd74l5orgk7-0DVek4XsSk ACtC-3dOFGLdISvbVWvxOX84P3rNt2bpusf08fxT

#27 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:27 PM

After spending a considerable amount of time with the hammers and dollies, and doing more welding to close up pin holes and gaps, I had it to a point where I started doing some surface filling. I have to say I'm pretty damn proud of how close I was able to get it to being smooth. I spent the most time getting the transition on the sides between the round front wings and the flatter quarters to blend together. When you look at one of these cars closely, you realize that it is wider in the front than in the rear, and the shape is very different front to rear. Getting that transition right took some work. The heaviest areas of filler ended up around the front corners where I had to combine 4 or 5 panels, and the area where the top of the wings and the scuttle come together. Even with all of that, I don't think there is more than about 1/8 inch of filler anywhere. Not bad for a beginner.

I'm running a set of Mini Special wheel arches (the rear ones) and I wanted to have the sidelights above the wheels, so I had to cut those in as well.

Once I had it as close as I could get it, I dropped it off with my friend who is the Auto Body instructor at a vocational high school here. For the cost of paint and supplies, the students took it on as a class project. I think they did an awesome job on it. Better than I could have done it, for sure. 

ACtC-3e1_kJ548UPwjEGaMakuHcHR0cnp8gBhl7V ACtC-3fD4Gt4VnREh6KCZTGiSJIehkJD2hzcc7b_

ACtC-3cB_igH1ZYlfkrFBNRB9MP2a_9Qwvu1digY ACtC-3fQZaohSy1qcwbj8NkaOkGp4bzdJHxjvWaY

ACtC-3cD8YdKvGnf6q1_SnYp24KoVOXahZZfoEg5 ACtC-3cyxijEMx9pZ4I3pPZDwAQLxuhxjylqgmBl

ACtC-3dej4FwraNTXuhdXldLVbeRL0xlI_X3gsvA ACtC-3dmxEEVuSG-pAMZkGb5byN8NfmE13HQkwKL

ACtC-3dBaRPKN1OyNd0GwGMs1WqFym1O7x0FUlY7 ACtC-3ezF7p5T7Q6iJ0fucIAB9TROduXR0J48mAz

Edited by Red Riley, 10 October 2020 - 04:22 PM.

#28 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:34 PM

Over the course of collecting parts and putting this project together, I had come up with a few finishing touches to take it over the top. I wanted to do a custom name emblem, and I thought about just making a sticker, or trying to do some custom painting, or something. I ended up designing a name badge and having it cut out of chrome faced plastic. It turned out pretty good. 

ACtC-3d0LTbyra7uGkuIRul07hvE06si9hRIXc8v ACtC-3fvfQPIgcn5nFeV1vwBcEmMTS0j7oW8MtzZ

Here in the colonies, most states allow the use of original year plates on old cars. I run a vintage 1968 plate on the Elf, and I wanted the trailer plate to match. I already had a permanent trailer registration but I didn't want to use the ugly new style plate. I found a really great company that does authentic reproduction license plates for collectors and the TV and movie industry. They are https://www.licenseplates.tv/ I had them put the new trailer registration number on a repro 1968 SC trailer plate. I can't imagine anyone ever checking the plate since South Carolina doesn't even require trailers to be registered in the first place, (yeah, I know) but if it's ever checked, the number is valid. And it looks cool. Boom.

ACtC-3dZFWED5ClHkarQtkC3TcDXFQBNyC9spwRD ACtC-3d4OXWF61iCow7U8cIe12wE0MVH1-QGxDc5

#29 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:39 PM

It just so happened that the Charleston British Car Club's annual show was the day after I got the trailer back from the paint shop, so I called up my neighbor Richie Hartley and he helped me throw it all together in a couple of hours. It's nice to have an extra set of hands to keep the cussing to a minimum when trying to mount the boot lid and bonnet. I already had the wiring mostly run, so it didn't take too much work to get it road-worthy. So we made it to the car show. Woohoo!

ACtC-3fsE2szljoiGZ25flaKriwlhQ6jjNswvUHA ACtC-3d_ZuRPcj9fyuU28L4p4oPBeQ9zcMfM_ym5

ACtC-3dHgzh3xosYA9M8grRJ4FZ01bZ-FUpicbGZ ACtC-3fBwlRj0t4pEDrEMQ8hqAQ_jEDXqMCVSWKk

ACtC-3eGEFS8-fqrSJ64SqlvEUS-TweElVel1WAU ACtC-3c684R-DasePArzhGht8F1GzSv0X3-ao8zx

#30 Red Riley

Red Riley

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:53 PM

I still needed to finish up the interior. I made a mount for spare tire in the front and put in some mats and carpet. Then mat and carpet in the boot. I added some tie-downs in the boot and came up with a configuration for a smaller cooler and my spare parts/cleaning supplies bucket. I also black painted behind the non-functional side grilles and came up with a filler panel to seal the center grille opening in the bonnet. The bumpers were pretty rusty on the backs, so I took them off and de-rusted them and gave them a couple coats of hammerite inside. I found these original Desmo towing mirror extensions on EBay and put them on Kreacher. They work really well, and actually make the wings mirrors very functional. It makes it much easier to back up the trailer when needed. Other than a few tweaks here and there, tidying up the wiring, and fine tuning things like the remote bonnet latch and boot lock, it's pretty much done for now.

ACtC-3fL0SO2PT3vdEgN-6a3WKItfvjJPcAS6juq ACtC-3fv0tnQLAmqZDbuL1pkxq02nZStg7SMz8cO

ACtC-3fnb2UkFROfkNo_H6ExY162HhA5ORuEqJfv ACtC-3dPzxE3pLWO-phz18y2VUxarxDpO97zxF_D

ACtC-3fBVil8ix8JjB7DWVru0OVa2QH6ooTjMK-0 ACtC-3d8bhWKkIpn2g4Esv2oi7ApARCfAfI2E1qk

ACtC-3fNeTeTMsJ4mTHiRTIahJ9iZnyhNyHgvlfD ACtC-3fYs14L9r-YRbyVFfvsPFB-pfAIUWpnHwnV

ACtC-3cFcyNBqVwiD58ceMYojim9Sq5Y02w5_xHt ACtC-3ePqKe5yIKDmp7kRlRd5M2et6eSZhrjBZZW

ACtC-3fP_FPvyEnKRx-BpGSgk0JPazAjnO44KClh ACtC-3f1qSjzv7vl1EJSsP4KzeyfvH7za8XrCu39

ACtC-3fvz65jydnMBE7mT3e_SsOsag_1yHAWCITI

Edited by Red Riley, 10 October 2020 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users