#16 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

Ok so I have started to strip the gearbox, ran into a few problems - like how to secure the gearbox whilst undoing the larger nut on the main shaft. Solved this and moving on.

I have removed the circlip and the roller bearing from the input side of the mainshaft and flattened down the lock tab.

Now another problem, I do not have a socket big or deep enough for the above nut!!

So I need confirmation of what socket I need for the above nut (I think it's a 1" 1/8 AF and shilst on the subject what other sockets / tools I need to finish the gearbox strip and rebuild.

I found this old guide by John Guess, sadly the images don't work. He does have a list of tooling at the top but some of the text has been obliterated with random characters.

With regards to sockets, it says I need a 1 1/2" Deep Ball Joint Socket (which I already have)

"Other sockets 1.1/8, 9/16, 1/2, 7/16, 3/8"

Are these all AF and are they normal size / deep and are they impact or standard chrome vandium?

Any recommendations as to where to get the sockets online?

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 04 April 2020 - 02:51 PM.

#17 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:36 PM

The third motion shaft nut is a ball joint socket size 1 1/2 inch.  They are on tight.  You need to remove the selector barrel and select two gear at the same time to lock the shaft. 

#18 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:58 PM

Yep you'll need a 1 1/8" (found this one https://www.zoro.co....ls/deep-impact-) for the first motion side and 1 1/2" for the pinion side. The other sockets are just standard ones, most being easier using 3/8 or 1/4 drive sockets.

Just for reference this is how I held my gearbox when undoing and torquing it up.

tGus1io.jpg

#19 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 04 April 2020 - 08:35 PM

Yep you'll need a 1 1/8" (found this one https://www.zoro.co....ls/deep-impact-) for the first motion side and 1 1/2" for the pinion side. The other sockets are just standard ones, most being easier using 3/8 or 1/4 drive sockets.

Just for reference this is how I held my gearbox when undoing and torquing it up.

tGus1io.jpg

Thanks Alex - just bought these 3/8 drive Sealey Sockets and the 1 1/8" from Zoro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users