6 replies to this topic

#1 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 04:14 AM

Just dropped my rebuilt motor with MED clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel back in the other day, and started putting back all of the ancillaries. Bled the clutch line and the pedal feels a little weird. The actual pedal travel seems to be a little shorter than before *I think*. I haven't been able to start the car yet as I have more things to put back in, but I took a video of the pivot arm in action. Does the clutch pushrod look like it's sticking out of the slave cylinder too much? Is the pivot arm installed incorrectly?

Everything from the line down to the clutch is new parts, except for the slave cylinder, which got new seals.

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:03 AM

The arm should be installed such that the clevis pin is nearer the slave, rather than further away.

#3 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:39 PM

Looks like the piston is hitting the circlip in the slave cylinder and the plunger is a long way out at rest. I had the same problem with a pre-verto new clutch with the piston hitting the clip on a non genuine slave so changed for a genuine (that doesn't have a circlip to stop the piston) and lengthened the push rod 8mm and all back to normal. Don't know why the new clutch caused that but I presumed (after reading the posts on the forum) that the fly wheel was sitting slightly further on the crank.

#4 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:39 PM

Ok I took off the arm and tried to install it the other way around but it's impossible as it hits the slave cylinder bracket. I'm now wondering if I might have installed the clutch release bearing backwards onto the plunger, causing the pressure plate not being pressed all the way. Could that be possible? I wish there was a way to take a look without taking the cover off.

Looks like the piston is hitting the circlip in the slave cylinder and the plunger is a long way out at rest. I had the same problem with a pre-verto new clutch with the piston hitting the clip on a non genuine slave so changed for a genuine (that doesn't have a circlip to stop the piston) and lengthened the push rod 8mm and all back to normal. Don't know why the new clutch caused that but I presumed (after reading the posts on the forum) that the fly wheel was sitting slightly further on the crank.

Which circlip are you referring to?

#5 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:09 PM

Ok I took off the arm and tried to install it the other way around but it's impossible as it hits the slave cylinder bracket. I'm now wondering if I might have installed the clutch release bearing backwards onto the plunger, causing the pressure plate not being pressed all the way. Could that be possible? I wish there was a way to take a look without taking the cover off.

Which circlip are you referring to?

The non genuine pre verto slave cylinder has a circlip on the end to stop the piston coming out. I presume the verto has the same. I would suggest pulling the rubber off the slave and get someone to depress the pedal and with your pedal stroke not as long as it was see if the piston hits the circlip stopping the piston travelling it's usual distance giving you a shorter pedal travel.

#6 pakgorgor

pakgorgor

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 01:22 AM

Fixed! Turns out I installed the clutch release bearing backwards, so it wasn't pushing the clutch in all the way. Flipped it around and everything feels good now.

Thanks for the help.

#7 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

Glad you got it! I’ll be down this road in a few days. I’

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users