Photo
- - - - -

Warning Lights On With Ignition Off! Please Help!

electrical

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hammy89

hammy89

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:35 PM

Hi all, 

I have been trying to finally get my 1989 'racing flame' on the road. I've undertaken pretty much a full restoration of both the body and then engine, i'm almost there but came across a problem when re-wiring the car. 

Basically, when i hook up the battery the charge warning light and oil pressure warning light come on and stay on despite the ignition being off. I have a feeling its it could be a dodgy earth connection or my ignition switch? I've tested the oil pressure switch and it is getting 12v supply no problem and when i disconnect it the light goes out as you would expect. 
Anyone got any pointers? 

Cheers!

#2 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:11 PM

Have you got the inputs and outputs on the glass fuse box lined up correctly?  Sounds like current is getting through at the wrong stage of the ignition switch?

#3 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:18 AM

You have a connection between the Permenant Live (Brown) and Ignition Live (White)  or one of there sub circuits. Remove fuses 3-4 (brown- purple) and 1-2 (white- green) ,if the lights go out the problem includes one or both sub circuits. Unplug the ignition switch to rule it out as faulty.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:52 PM

Also try disconnecting the alternator.

#5 big john

big john

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:19 PM

Remove the connector from the alternator. If the lights go out you most likely have a bad diode in the rectifier. Not an uncommon fault. New alternator time.

#6 hammy89

hammy89

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:13 PM

Okay, 

So firstly, I disconnected the ignition switch and the lights didn't go out so that rules that out. 
next i disconnected the alternator and the charge light went off but oil pressure remained on?

As for fuse box i checked all the connections and they are in the right place and i removed fuses 3-4 and 1-2 and the lights stayed on. 

I'm getting confused because i had tested everything and it seemed fine. Once i moved the battery to the boot and connected the earth straps this all started? Any other ideas?
thanks for the replies guys!!!! 

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:20 PM

That suggests the fault isn't the alternator.

Have you tried unplugging the ignition switch, where the wires emerge from the column shroud?

#8 hammy89

hammy89

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:58 AM

Hi Ethel,
I plugged the ignition switch and the lights stayed on so I think must be something else?

#9 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:49 AM

What year is the Mini?

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:07 AM

So with the ignition switch and the alternator ruled out, I think it must be a simple case of getting a connection wrong.
Somewhere the ignition circuit (white) and the permanent power circuit (brown) and interconnected.  To complicate this slightly it could be via the accessory circuit (green).

I'd start by checking all the permanent power connections from the battery forward. There aren't that many - starter solenoid, fusebox, alternator....

A multimeter will be your friend too - check the white wire at the fusebox - it shouldn't show 12V with the ignition off but given your problem it probably is.  Everytime you disconnect a permanent power connection it should drop off, if it doesn't then your 'bridge' is somewhere before that connection.

All that said, my suspicion is that you have permanent 12V and an ignition connection going to the +VE terminal on the coil by having the ballast bypass wire connected to the wrong part of the starter solenoid. 

If you have a white/yellow at the coil, disconnect it and see what happens........

#11 hammy89

hammy89

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:57 AM

Hi guys, 

All sorted! really stupid really, where i had re-run the +ve cable into the starter motor from the battery it was also just touching the earth connection on the starter too! i've re positioned all the cables to make sure they don't touch and everything is back to normal! Fired it up this morning for the first time it a few years! 
Thanks all the help!

H

#12 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:53 PM

Great it is fixed!

But..... there isn't an earth connection on the starter!

#13 hammy89

hammy89

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:22 PM

Yep! My bad, Permanent live was touching on the low current connection to the ignition switch. That makes sense now! 

Thanks! Learning as i go!!!!!! 

#14 Mark506

Mark506

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:37 PM

Funnily enough I’m just having a similar issue with mine, although it hasn’t been rewired! I’ve just swapped the engine and plugged it back in to test it and the light has gone on as above, unplugged the alternator and light has gone, although was working fine before. Would you still say this means a new alternator?

#15 Mark506

Mark506

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

Funnily enough I’m just having a similar issue with mine, although it hasn’t been rewired! I’ve just swapped the engine and plugged it back in to test it and the light has gone on as above, unplugged the alternator and light has gone, although was working fine before. Would you still say this means a new alternator?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users