#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 01 April 2020 - 08:35 PM

I am replacing the original twin rubber hoses to the callipers with  the braided set up. How are the hoses to be run?

i have seen one post saying in at the top, with another saying in at the bottom, also which is the best way for the loop pipe? I have seen one post saying take it away from the caliper bolts, but is that not taking the hose close to the inner wheel rim? Also the hose seems to be close to the bleed nipple.

thanks

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:21 AM

Not exactly what you're asking but this is how minispares supplied metro calipers in their original conversion kits in the mid to late 80's. The hose fitted where the blanking plug is used a banjo bolt. Never had an issue bleeding them despite the lack of a separate bleed nipple for the upper two pistons.

Attached Files

#3 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:22 AM

Couldn’t work that out at first.

Flexi connects to upper inlet, (plugged hole) any air in the top 2 pistons is expelled through the pipe connecting from the top bleed  nipple hole and into the lower 2 pistons and out of the bleed nipples. Connecting pipe will need a metric and an imperial nut.

I wish I’d seen this earlier, I could have saved on the price of the Goodridge hose kit?

I still need the answer as to the way the Goodridge kit is to be fitted. The hose could go onto either of the inlets, and the link pipe could go towards the drive shaft or towards the wheel rim. I have searched but have been unable to see any photos of how these pies are to be fitted.

#4 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:45 AM

Just looking on line and people seem to have installed them in every conceivable configuration.

Attached Files

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 April 2020 - 05:39 PM

Either way would work, but I'd be inclined to fit them so the main hose goes to the lower port and the 'joiner' from that to the top port.

My thinking here is that it would help chase the air out.

I have only fitted up one set of these on to a Mini. On that set, I dismantled the Calipers and drilled them internally between the piston spaces, then plugged the upper port. It made for a much neater looking installation.

You are likely on top of it, but if I recall, the threads in these for the hoses are a Metric set up. The threads were M10 x 1.0 and originally, they seal on the nose of the original hose, not with a copper washer like a normal Mini arrangement. The Calipers I've seen weren't machined for a copper washer, they were just the raw casting.

This is the Drawing from the Metro Workshop Manual where they highlight the differences

VHvoBhO.jpg

While I note you have the Goodridge Kit, just me aware too, that while the Hose from a Mini, at 3/8" UNF goes in, they are not the correct fit and can fail as they are 0.5 mm too small. On that, I'd suggest checking the Banjo Bolts you have been supplied with are M10 x 1.0. A simple test here is to try a wheel nut on them and while being close, you shouldn't be able to get it on.

#6 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:36 PM

So I have fitted the hoses as stated on the Mini Spares site, in at the bottom, the the link hose to the front.

i have now fitted the caliper and see the link hose is contacting the tie bar on full lock.  I have slackened the hose to re align it a bit.

I may have a look at routing the link hose on the other side and see how it works.

Attached Files

#7 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 06:45 PM

Either way would work, but I'd be inclined to fit them so the main hose goes to the lower port and the 'joiner' from that to the top port.

My thinking here is that it would help chase the air out.

I have only fitted up one set of these on to a Mini. On that set, I dismantled the Calipers and drilled them internally between the piston spaces, then plugged the upper port. It made for a much neater looking installation.

You are likely on top of it, but if I recall, the threads in these for the hoses are a Metric set up. The threads were M10 x 1.0 and originally, they seal on the nose of the original hose, not with a copper washer like a normal Mini arrangement. The Calipers I've seen weren't machined for a copper washer, they were just the raw casting.

This is the Drawing from the Metro Workshop Manual where they highlight the differences

VHvoBhO.jpg

While I note you have the Goodridge Kit, just me aware too, that while the Hose from a Mini, at 3/8" UNF goes in, they are not the correct fit and can fail as they are 0.5 mm too small. On that, I'd suggest checking the Banjo Bolts you have been supplied with are M10 x 1.0. A simple test here is to try a wheel nut on them and while being close, you shouldn't be able to get it on.

Spider, you are correct, the Metro calipers are metric threaded. The Goodridge hose kit has metric banjos but the main hose has a. Imperial thread for the metal brake pipe to screw in.

#8 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:26 PM

I’m not too happy with the Goodridge hose kit,

I have now fitted the flexi to the subframe and find the hose is in contact with the tie bar!  Admittedly the suspension is on full droop, but even so I would have thought the hose would not be coming into contact with anything. I have used the old spring protector which is prevent the braided hose touching the tie bar.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Attached Files

#9 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 07:06 PM

Have you tried it for clearance with the hose in the top port?
The original minispares conversions worked ok that way round and even bleeding wasn't a problem. It was quite a neat conversion but I bet that pipe was a bugger to make and fit plus they must have drilled and tapped the upper bleed nipple port to take a pipe union.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users