37 replies to this topic

#31 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:14 PM

I know Classic Minis Japan have a great reputation for quality, but the prices are another level really IMO

#32 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:48 PM

The KAD Hubs are supplied with prefitted wheel bearings - KOR Brand. I've asked a few times now to purchase them without Bearings but they won't supply them that way and they don't recommend removing those that are fitted either. If I could buy them bear, I would.

Do you mean that KAD do not recommend fitting another brand of bearing or that the bearings should not be removed from the hubs at all i.e. fitted for life?

#33 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:51 PM

I looked at these though nearly a £190.00 including p&p to get them to the uk a lot of money

It is a lot of money but I suppose it boils down to time and convenience at the end of the day.

You pay your money and take your choice.

#34 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,943 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:59 PM

I know Classic Minis Japan have a great reputation for quality, but the prices are another level really IMO

Yes, but at least we have choice ;D

The KAD Hubs are supplied with prefitted wheel bearings - KOR Brand. I've asked a few times now to purchase them without Bearings but they won't supply them that way and they don't recommend removing those that are fitted either. If I could buy them bare, I would.

Do you mean that KAD do not recommend fitting another brand of bearing or that the bearings should not be removed from the hubs at all i.e. fitted for life?

Pete, I can't say, they were rather tight lipped and almost narky over it, so I didn't press them any further on it and likewise, didn't buy them either. I have a few friends here who would also purchase them if they came bare, so that's half a dozen sets they've missed out on.

I have wondered if they are sizing the register in the hub to suit these bearings or if the alloy material doesn't take well to having bearings removed and refitted ?  I know there's another brand on the market that also come with bearings and they are effectively not replaceable as they heat the hub to fit the cups.

#35 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,953 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:58 PM

interesting read there Spider.

as you know i bought the KAD rear hubs and they are not to be torqued up just use the fingerish tight method. I wonder what the tightening method is for their front hubs.

Alloy hubs with once only use bearings. will keep with cast ones for now. (but with race cars ....).

#36 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: Waikato Mini Club

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:32 AM

I just emailed them asking the question if the bearings are replaceable or if it’s a throw away hub if the bearings poked.

On a side note 365 NZD shipped to New Zealand for 4 ball joints. Not sure how I feel about that.

#37 Pete649

Pete649

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:35 PM

I wonder what the tightening method is for their front hubs.

I have a note stating:-

Calipers to hub torque 40 ft/lbs

Steering arm 40 ft/ibs

CV Nut 150 ft/lbs

BUT I have no idea where I obtained the information from or even if it is correct.

#38 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: Waikato Mini Club

Posted 03 August 2020 - 10:24 AM

Spoke to them and they said the hubs were completely serviceable. That you can use the standard bearings from minispares or wherever.

The torque figures above are what they said as well. They were pretty forth coming about them with me so I’m thinking seriously about getting them.

Edited by joyce1bro, 03 August 2020 - 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users