Photo
- - - - -

Spark Plug Comparison: Would This Compel You To Switch?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

I'm a big fan of Project Farm's videos. He does what he can to prove/ disprove automotive old wives tales. His comparison of Spark Plugs really resonated well with me, because I've long believed NGK were no longer the most innovative option out there. 

I intend to switch to the Pulstar on all my gasoline vehicles. Any thoughts on which one to purchase?

https://pulstar.com/buy-pulstar/

Edited by Screwdriver, 07 April 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

NGK are cheap and I get return or replace if faulty

#3 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:38 PM

I'm pretty sure the improvement will pay for itself!

#4 wassupcrew

wassupcrew

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:58 PM

over £50 plus shipping for a set of plugs. no way. i'd rather stick to the proven NGK's for £10 a set

#5 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:58 PM

I watched the video, and he certainly puts his time and effort into it. However, unless I'm missing something really obvious, the results seem so similar that I'm inclined to agree with wassupcrew.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:03 PM

I've compared alot of plugs, through driving various mini's and the best I've had was NGK, yes there were a few bad NGK plugs I had to send back but I used to order them in quantities of 8, any I'd used but had problems were sent back and refunded no quibble.

Failure rates were one in 20... my friends red top C20XE Vauxhall engine in full race trim used to eat plugs for breakfast, like a set every 3 races

Edited by cal844, 07 April 2020 - 10:06 PM.

#7 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:51 PM

No question that NGK's are as good as you can get for standard plugs. But these Pulstars don't appear standard at all. Take a read of this magazine test article. 3.5% increase in power and torque is not something we should just dismiss. Otherwise we wouldn't be installing K&N filters in our cars. 

https://dsportmag.co...of-spark-plugs/

#8 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:28 AM

the only time anything like this shows an improvement is when the thing it is being compared to isnt working properly.

#9 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:36 AM

“This pulse saturates the fuel with combustion-enhancing plasma, ensuring instant ignition and a rapid burn.” Oh dear.

#10 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:46 AM

Over the years if we installed the wonder plugs,the shirt button capacitor in the coil lead,flamethrower coils,electronic ignition,the spikey collar thingy in the inlet manifold etc our cars would be melting the tyres whilst refilling the tank with fuel.Lab tests by someone selling the thing are not real life,or am I cynical.I think that if manufacturers are not fitting it then it perhaps is not so good.Only jesting.With some of the mileages quoted by some owners 3.5% would take three lifetimes to recoup.Steve..

#11 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:15 AM

No question that NGK's are as good as you can get for standard plugs. But these Pulstars don't appear standard at all. Take a read of this magazine test article. 3.5% increase in power and torque is not something we should just dismiss. Otherwise we wouldn't be installing K&N filters in our cars. 

https://dsportmag.co...of-spark-plugs/

As time goes on we'd be foolish to ignore new innovations, other wise we'd still be watering the horse to get us to Tesco's. Unfortunately, many wonder breakthroughs are just marketing speak and fall by the wayside. Of course, if nobody tries each new product and tells everybody else how good/bad it is, we will all possibly miss out on a good thing.

So if you do decide to get a set, I would be interested in how you find them.

#12 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:36 PM

Been using Pulstar’s in the Mini for over 5 years now. Attention to detail is what separates a great engine from the rest....

#13 Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:18 PM

Been using Pulstar’s in the Mini for over 5 years now. Attention to detail is what separates a great engine from the rest....

Music to my ears. Which plug do you use? Any noticeable difference in performance of economy?

#14 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:42 AM

At $20 a plug US, I doubt a 3.5% increase in anything makes that cost worthwhile......not buying it, sorry.

#15 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:21 AM

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users