28 replies to this topic

#16 Wazzah

Wazzah

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:28 AM

Been thrashing around on the 45mm all week.

Filled up this morning for 39.4 mpg.

Not bad because I have been enjoying the extra oomph.

I removed the spark plugs ( or data loggers as I like to call them) on cylinders 3 & 4 and they look good.

White to light brown porcelains, electrode nice colour from the tip heading back 2-3 mm and a slightly dark grey to black ring.

Maybe a tad rich but both cylinders are nearly identical with 4 slightly leaner than 3 on close inspection.

Might back the regulator off and eighth of a turn but very close to perfect.

I didn't have to drain any fuel out of the gearbox so I suspect it is getting burn't nicely instead of being used as bore sanitizer. 

All this on the standard manifold.

Might have to get the die grinder out.

Attached Files

#17 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 04:32 AM

So this is where proper data would be great. I wonder if the stock manifold is good, restrictive, or over kill. It would ha r to be matched to your head of course

#18 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

Been thrashing around on the 45mm all week.
Filled up this morning for 39.4 mpg.
Not bad because I have been enjoying the extra oomph.
I removed the spark plugs ( or data loggers as I like to call them) on cylinders 3 & 4 and they look good.
White to light brown porcelains, electrode nice colour from the tip heading back 2-3 mm and a slightly dark grey to black ring.
Maybe a tad rich but both cylinders are nearly identical with 4 slightly leaner than 3 on close inspection.
Might back the regulator off and eighth of a turn but very close to perfect.
I didn't have to drain any fuel out of the gearbox so I suspect it is getting burn't nicely instead of being used as bore sanitizer. 
All this on the standard manifold.
Might have to get the die grinder out.

Thanks for the update.

Which year is your SPI? You probably know this already but there are two different inlet manifolds, Rover modified it 1992ish because the original caused two of the cylinders to be noticeably lean. See photo, the one on the left is the newer version, with added "venturi" pieces, which seem to even out the fuelling across all the cylinders.

I have spoken to a few Mini tuning folks local to me and the stock (either type) is seen as being pretty good already. Polishing will aid bhp but on a standard ECU and setup will cause it to be substantially richer (UK MOT emissions failing richer). I've also confirmed that they always grind off the venturi pieces before polishing because not a lot of people understand why they are there. It's somewhat counter to traditional carb-Mini tuning thought to leave something seemingly blocking the passage of fuel and air but I would be inclined to say, loosing them might be a bigger problem on setup where there bhp is substantially greater than the stock 60bhp. The 45mm throttle body and fuel pressure valve might be the ‘answer’...

Interesting stuff! It’ll be a while before I’ll be able to put mine on my standard setup, but I intended to get it on a dyno to see what’s happens before and after...

Attached Files

Edited by Pops_Guild, 09 May 2020 - 07:50 AM.

#19 Wazzah

Wazzah

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:44 AM

Mines a 98 and I have the crescent moon ridges.

My head has been ported and I had a port matched Mini Spares manifold when I ran the SC TB & ECU.

I think I will port match my standard manifold and leave the ridges.

I reckon there is some improvements to make on the first turn under the throttle body at least

#20 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:23 AM

Mines a 98 and I have the crescent moon ridges.

My head has been ported and I had a port matched Mini Spares manifold when I ran the SC TB & ECU.

I think I will port match my standard manifold and leave the ridges.

I reckon there is some improvements to make on the first turn under the throttle body at least

I agree the first turn can be a bit rough on some of the castings. The wall between the water-way and the inlet can be a bit thin around there, I've thought about doing it for a while but now I have 45mm on the way it might be worth the effort...I have a lot of manifolds to play with from my refurb work :)

Attached Files

Edited by Pops_Guild, 09 May 2020 - 09:27 AM.

#21 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:40 PM

IntMilkBrilliant, welcome. Is this your company? Really do love the concept and what your aim is. Would love to hear what else you have in the pipeline and if you are looking for ideas.

This is my company, yes. I've spent years building it, however I'm not here to preach or sell anything, just as a spectator. I've been registered for years but the spike in referrals to my website brought me back. Ideas are always welcome.

Hey intmilkbrilliant

do you have a website? soon as i've sold my wheels I want a 48mm TB pls?

#22 IntMilkBrilliant

IntMilkBrilliant

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:24 AM

IntMilkBrilliant, welcome. Is this your company? Really do love the concept and what your aim is. Would love to hear what else you have in the pipeline and if you are looking for ideas.

This is my company, yes. I've spent years building it, however I'm not here to preach or sell anything, just as a spectator. I've been registered for years but the spike in referrals to my website brought me back. Ideas are always welcome.

Hey intmilkbrilliant

You can find me at http://classicminisjapan.com

#23 dmandan

dmandan

Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:54 AM

Hey intmilkbrilliant

You can find me at http://classicminisjapan.com

Will the bigger 48mm tb and regulator still be a plug and play item? I have the standard mems ecu, polished ported head and k&N induction kit but nothign else done yet...

#24 Wazzah

Wazzah

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

My opinion so far is that a 45mm throttle body is an improvement for the improvements listed.

I have barely exploited the tuning capacity of the 45mm with the adjustable pressure regulator.

I have a ported and polished head too along with 1.5 rockers and an LCB.

I think I need a lot more suck before the 48mm would come in to its own.

Perhaps in a 1380 or 1400 strocker.

The manifold needs to be improved as well to take full advantage of the 45 or the 48.

I have all the bits for a rebuild and will bore to 1310 and fit an SW5 among some other stuff.

For interests sake I have gathered parts that reduce the rotating mass by 11.1 kg!!

The 45 hasn't missed a beat this week and the ECU has learned the new idle parameters.

I have got an SC Delta 400 and SC 45mm throttle body project on the go side by side and will fit that this weekend as a comparison.

The SC stuff is on its last chance.

If there is no huge improvement the 45 Rover body will go back on.

I have made a side drafting kit for the rover body on a mini spares HIF44 manifold and I will trial this before the rebuild.

That way I can settle on my induction system once and for all.

Or until that shiny twin throttle thing on a weber manifold being developed in japan comes out.

#25 Miniholic

Miniholic

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local Club: MCR Yorkshire

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the update.

Which year is your SPI? You probably know this already but there are two different inlet manifolds, Rover modified it 1992ish because the original caused two of the cylinders to be noticeably lean. See photo, the one on the left is the newer version, with added "venturi" pieces, which seem to even out the fuelling across all the cylinders.

I can concur with this, I had a dropped valve on my SPi after it ran lean whilst "making progress", they don't like high rpm's without the venturi.

I'm running a 45mm throttlebody on my car, but I made my own using a hybrid of Rover components.  I'm also running a Metro GTi SPi injector but don't know what the flow rate is - it was good for 100bhp on the Metro so good enough for me.   

My engine is 1293, 37*31 head, Kent 274 cam, 1.5 rockers and everything lightened and balanced, it did 92bhp on the rollers after mapping the SC typhoon ECU.   I ran the car for a few years on the stock MEMS ECU and the SC transformed it, but the main improvement was how it cleaned up the bottom end (it was on the stock ECU and a Kent 286 cam when it dropped a valve).

I'm building another car at the moment that will have the SC five port kit, I'm interested to see how it compares, but the engine is a much higher spec so it won't be a direct comparison.

#26 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,899 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

The SC kit is only as good as whoever maps it.

#27 Wazzah

Wazzah

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:50 PM

The SC kit is only as good as whoever maps it.

You are 100% correct Steve. 

SC shouldn't advertise it as Plug and Play as that is so far from the truth.

My car never ran properly on the SC stuff.

Apparently the change from Typhoon to Delta was not good for my specific car.

The 98 -2000 JDM SPI's are a mix of MPI and SPI and the new Delta 400 firmware didn't cater for SPI injector (batch) firing with the MPI reluctor 36-4 timing.

I managed to get mine to run using the Rover K series trigger pattern in SX Tune and it flew with your foot flat to the boards but was super rich or super lean with nothing in between.

I ran the wideband lambda kit as well and could not get AFR's anywhere near where they needed to be.

0.8 lambda at cruise was the closest to 1.0 I ever got.

They have only released new firmware specific to the JDM's.

Whilst I am really happy with the modified Rover 45mm body I have a lot of expensive SC plug and play gear sitting in a box in the garage.

I'm waiting for a gearbox to arrive and then I'll rebuild the motor.

I've got lightened and balanced crank, rods and MED flywheel ready to drop in.

1310cc pistons, lightweight timing gear, lifters and SW5.

I've calculated a reduction in rotating mass of 11.6 kg.

Already got a 36-31 ported head on the car.

#28 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,899 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:57 AM

I can street map the D400 quite easily now, as long as the car is fitted with a wideband lambda. Which (in Steve's opinion) is essential on any aftermarket ECU.

#29 MIA mini

MIA mini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 03:37 AM

Did the 810cc injector fit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users