spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Local Club: HMC

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

Hi,

I've been reading the 'prep and respray' guide and it mentions that the 3M masking tape is the best one to use.
As a novice, how long could such a masking tape be left on before being removed without leaving a sticky residue? In the past I've heard of 24 hour masking tapes etc but I wanted to prepare and mask various areas of my mini so that I've got plenty to go at but wanted a masking tape that would be sticky enough to start with and also easy to remove a long while afterwards so that I can take my time when I come to spraying it.
Are there different grades? What if none of my local stockists actually sell it?
I hope the above makes sense :o

Cheers,

spud.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

i always use low tack stuff, it's sticky enough to seal but not enough to bond to the car.

#3 spud

spud

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Local Club: HMC

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:27 PM

So is there low tack and high tack versions? How do I tell the difference- should I test a bit in the shop before buying?

Sorry for sounding a bit thick, but I don't want to waste time cleaning off the sticky bits :o

spud.

#4 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

low tack tape is what you buy in diy shops for masking up over paint in your home, as a rule there is only standard masking tape for cars but depending on who makes it some stick better than others.
masking tape should only be left on for around 4-5 days as it can be a little tinker to get off.
low tack tape is not much use if you are going to be spraying as it blows off very easy.

years ago i had to take masking off a car that had had it on for about a year, it was a pig.

#5 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

You can not beat 3M's masking tape , like you say some of the cheaper stuff leaves a residue
DONT LET IT GET WET !!!!!!!!!
if it does get wet , remove the tape , dry and remask
dont expect it to stay for long
DO , remask between primer and top coats

#6 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

:genius: as an art student who uses a LOT of masking tape I can confidently say 3M rocks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users