33 replies to this topic

#16 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

Good grief - have a feeling he'll be holding that for a while but then again down to what someone will pay

Have got 2 spare MG metro lumps  tucked away - paid 50 quid for both donor cars.......... it was a fair while ago!!!

There are still rotten metros out there if you search hard enough - I recently found an 89 GTA with 34k on it.... am working on the very aged and housebound owner gently as was her husbands car..... sentimental  - although it seems to be dissolving into the back garden..... god I hate pretending to love metro's !!! :-)

#17 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:39 PM

We used to be able to buy a mini for 200 and that was a mini with mot and some Tax.
Usually found a couple quid down the back seat as well..

Changed days....UNFORTUNATLY

#18 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 05:43 PM

We used to be able to buy a mini for 200 and that was a mini with mot and some Tax.
Usually found a couple quid down the back seat as well..

Changed days....UNFORTUNATLY

The scrappage scheme has a lot to answer for!

#19 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:55 PM

If you want confirmation of the shortage of 1275 short engines just look at the core charge from minispares and others.

In 2017 it was £300 plus vat, 2019 £500 plus vat and today £750 plus vat. These are for ones which meet spec (unmarked cranks, not previously reground or linered).

MG Metro Turbo with ancillaries make around £1000 because even if you dump the ancient T3 turbo, carb and manifolds it still costs to replace them. 

FS

#20 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 02:34 PM

Also don't throw any redundant 1275 A-Series Automatic Engines away for scrap.....

How to Convert a BMC A-Series Cylinder Block From Automatic to Manual:-

http://www.theminifo...l/#entry3652845

#21 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 10 June 2020 - 03:13 PM

Blimey. Think it might be time to dig the ones out that I have tucked away!

#22 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

Demand is certainly keeping the prices up. 

I was recently bidding on an MG Metro engine and gearbox (with no ancillaries) and dropped out when it got to £900 as there was another standard A+ 1275 engine auction ending an hour later plus another MG Metro available as a classified listing and I thought it better to get an alternative at a decent price rather than get caught in a bidding war.  It eventually went for around £1,150.

The 1275 went for about £700 I think, again with no ancillaries.

So I went for plan C - the other MG engine which was complete with all ancillaries (inc an HIF44), metro driveshafts and 4 pot brakes.  Asking price was £1,100 and there were 20 or so people watching the item but no offers so I rang the bloke, asked if he would sell the engine without the Metro brakes etc, and got what I wanted for £850.  Although not cheap, it certainly feels better value than either of the other two, especially the one that went to £1,150.

It's all a long way away from the last time I bought a 1275.  It was a proper old-school scrapyard in Norwich, 1993, and there were 3 Metros sat on the grass.  Two were standard and one was an MG.  £40 for the standard ones or £60 for the MG.  I told the bloke I'd take the MG one and would be back tomorrow with my tools to take it out.  Turned up the next day and he had sold it as he thought I wouldn't be coming back.  Reluctantly bought one of the standard ones instead, got a brand new 266 cam for £40 and had a great engine for less than £100!

#23 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:10 PM

Also don't throw any redundant 1275 A-Series Automatic Engines away for scrap.....

How to Convert a BMC A-Series Cylinder Block From Automatic to Manual:-

http://www.theminifo...l/#entry3652845

Yes got one of those too along with the spacer which you can buy ready made (spools available if you know where to look)

FS

#24 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:20 PM

It makes me feel sick how much they have gone up  :X I was going to put a 1275 in my estate but i wont be now.

My mom had a MK2 cooper s when i was a kid and she ended up paying someone to take it away because the head gasket had gone and there was a hole in the floor O_O.

if only we could have known, My dad in about 2002 sold our merto turbo 2 owners g reg for £150, because it need some bits for mot, oh i wish id of kept that little car.

#25 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:21 PM

If you want confirmation of the shortage of 1275 short engines just look at the core charge from minispares and others.

In 2017 it was £300 plus vat, 2019 £500 plus vat and today £750 plus vat. These are for ones which meet spec (unmarked cranks, not previously reground or linered).

MG Metro Turbo with ancillaries make around £1000 because even if you dump the ancient T3 turbo, carb and manifolds it still costs to replace them. 

FS

really £750 wow

#26 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:10 PM

I had a metro turbo as my first car. Cost me £400 then sold it with problems for £250 to buy my first mini Mayfair for £750. I still miss both 20 years on

#27 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 11 November 2020 - 02:19 PM

Well maybe need to buy a delorian and get it up to 88mph, like Michael j fox and the doc did, and go back in time maybe 15 years to stock pile some engines and not sell all the classic mini, beautys we USED to own back in the day....

If only....

#28 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:28 PM

Here's mine.  Wish I still had it.  Loved the car, red-lining it in 4th!

Attached File  Metro (2).jpg   59.37K   0 downloads

#29 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:12 AM

There’s a fella near me that things a boggo 998 is worth 600 quid without any ancillaries. It does have a set of clocks that say 45k though so it must be a low mileage unit...
I offered him a fair 200 but his price is firm.

Is a 998 really worth 200 quid? I've still got mine which has been sat in the corner of the garage for about 6 years, and I was planning on just giving it away to save space, as I figured no one wanted them!  

#30 PoolGuy

PoolGuy

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 12 November 2020 - 10:47 AM

You chaps who have your engines facing the wrong way are lucky. Those of us whose engines are fitted in the correct correct orientation  need to pay a massive premium for a 1275 block, currently about 5-6 times what a Mini block would cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users