35 replies to this topic

#16 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

I think mk1 glass is generally easy enough to find - many restorers will even get it with the right date code.

There is a plastic clip for one type of sun visor that is quite hard to source. 
And the fuel pump breather vent that fits in the toe board.

What's the fuel pump breather vent in the toeboard?

#17 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:07 AM

Apologies - meant heel board.

#18 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:19 AM

Do you mean the fuel tank breather as I wasn't aware that the SU pump had a breather?

#19 dodge44

dodge44

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:23 AM

ARA 167 vertical oil cooler is another tricky item to find. Certainly go for strong money when they do show up.
Pic for ref:
https://ibb.co/ZXn2f5n

#20 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:29 AM

Do you mean the fuel tank breather as I wasn't aware that the SU pump had a breather?

Nope - pump breather.  I think it was deleted early on.  It was a hollow plastic rivet through the heel board.

It allowed the electrical side of the pump - ie the points - to breathe into the car. Presumably to stop them filling with water and muck but possibly also to ensure that they weren't surrounded by fuel vapour.

20160719_1512061_zpsl2soh8pf.jpg

Edited by GraemeC, 04 June 2020 - 09:31 AM.

#21 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:05 AM

Well, well, well. I wondered what this little nylon thing was. Couldn't find it in any parts manual. It's on my 66 sdl which is having a new floor at the moment. I will save that little nylon thing. Any idea what the part number is?

Attached Files

#22 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:35 AM

Well, well, well. I wondered what this little nylon thing was. Couldn't find it in any parts manual. It's on my 66 sdl which is having a new floor at the moment. I will save that little nylon thing. Any idea what the part number is?

I've never even seen one of those, where does it fit on the car? I have a 1965 MK1 estate to restore, I will have to see if it has one.

#23 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

I've never even seen one of those, where does it fit on the car? I have a 1965 MK1 estate to restore, I will have to see if it has one.

Look underneath the car on the left hand side and it will be high up on the heel board but it is possible the rear subframe might be hiding it. My subframe is out so it's easily visible. I can't find any reference in the BMC parts books for it or any breather pipe that runs from the SU Pump to it and I used to be a BMC partsman. Learn something every day with these little cars.

#24 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:41 AM

Look underneath the car on the left hand side and it will be high up on the heel board but it is possible the rear subframe might be hiding it. My subframe is out so it's easily visible. I can't find any reference in the BMC parts books for it or any breather pipe that runs from the SU Pump to it and I used to be a BMC partsman. Learn something every day with these little cars.

Any idea why the fuel pump would want to vent into the car?

#25 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

13H1640

#26 whistler

whistler

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:55 AM

13H1640

http://www.theminifo...mini-traveller/

Found it on page MD4.1 of AKD3502 listed but no illustration. No wonder it couldn't be seen.

Mystery solved.

A-A2S7-101384 on

M-A2S4 not available on.......use Bulk part number (whatever that means) (my car is this chassis number but has it fitted)

Edited by whistler, 04 June 2020 - 11:02 AM.

#27 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:04 AM

The part number is 13H 1640
As I understand it the pipe is not a vent as such but is there to allow the pump to breathe. Otherwise the pump would be pumping out all the time with no air coming in to equalise it.

#28 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

The part number is 13H 1640
As I understand it the pipe is not a vent as such but is there to allow the pump to breathe. Otherwise the pump would be pumping out all the time with no air coming in to equalise it.

The SU pumps have a vent o nthe back of them, I had always assumed that if the pump diaphram failed that petrol would come out of this although I have never seen it happen.

I've always found SU pumps to be really reliable once you get the points working correctly in them.

#29 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:12 PM

Another ultra rare part is the AEG515 ST 850 crankshaft. Another thing that’s been on my wanted list for a few years. Never seen one come up for sale.

#30 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• Area Managers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:19 PM

All the talk of mk1 glass is the type with only one hole.. later ones had 2 holes..

I think the hardest to find is genuine working wiper motor, I have seen many which have been adapted... but not original.....

Also think the early rivited 10"rims.... so rare and so dangerous...

Edited by bpirie1000, 04 June 2020 - 04:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users