#1 Danny-T

Danny-T

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

Hi all,

After convincing my old man to drive down from Bristol (his car has a towbar), we've just spent the day hiring a trailer, picking my poor old 92 Cooper up from a friend's lockup where it's sat for about 2 years and dragging it back to my place.

Seeing the old girl again has enthused me into pulling my finger out and actually starting down the road of dirty fingernails, scraped knuckles and an airing of my less romantic vocabulary in order to get her back on the road.

A while back I was banned from driving (for health reasons) for 6 months and a friend drove my mini about, not being too familiar with older cars he didn't check the oil once and drove it dry. One eventful day, smoke (or possibly steam) filled cab and she wouldn't start. Has been shut up and ignored since.

So, tomorrow marks the begining of the restoration to former glory. Starting with a wash and clean out. Then I'll charge her up and try turning the engine over and see what happens. I'm not overly mechanically experienced so i'll definitely be checking back in on progress and problems.

Cheers!

Dan

#2 Rodders

Rodders

Mr Sexy Ankles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:23 PM

welcome. hope you get the help you need. post up some piccys lets have a b4 and after thing going.

#3 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

Welcome back into the weird and wonderful world of minis.

Then I'll charge her up and try turning the engine over and see what happens. I'm not overly mechanically experienced so i'll definitely be checking back in on progress and problems.

There have been quite a few postings here on taking care when restarting an engine after a long break, so you might find them useful :genius:

#4 Danny-T

Danny-T

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thanks guys

welcome. hope you get the help you need. post up some piccys lets have a b4 and after thing going.

Certainly will first thing tomorrow, missus has nabbed my digi cam at the mo but i'll use the mobile for now.

There have been quite a few postings here on taking care when restarting an engine after a long break, so you might find them useful :genius:

"Search Click" thanks for the heads up!

#5 Danny-T

Danny-T

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

As requested some "Before's":

The Car
Posted Image

The Back
Posted Image

The Engine
Posted Image

The Cabin
Posted Image

The Rust
Posted Image

I'm sorry I let her get in this state, however I am glad I found some enthusiasm and this forum to get my butt into gear and get this beauty running. The rust pic is pretty much the worst of it, the majority is in pretty good shape including excellent sills and minor rust patches elsewhere (awaiting closer look). The engine needs a lot of TLC, the brown muck was from the radiator blowing chunks, but that was subsequently fixed but not cleaned.

Ah well heres to a future of fun and my pestering on this forum!

#6 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

Aw, pics aren't working :P

Edit, oh yes they are... :genius: Doesn't look that bad! ^_^

Edited by Feeble, 29 October 2006 - 09:47 PM.

#7 Danny-T

Danny-T

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

Aw, pics aren't working :genius:

Quick reply! I just fixed the permissions on the pics about 10 seconds after I submitted that post :P

#8 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:48 PM

lol, I edited my post a few seconds after that then! :genius:

#9 Rodders

Rodders

Mr Sexy Ankles

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

The car looks ok a few cosmetic touches maybe needed :genius:

I'm a big fan of personalised plates does the j33 mean anything.

you might be able to make out mine on the avatar.

Martin Reeves.

Edited by Rodders, 29 October 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#10 Danny-T

Danny-T

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:30 AM

Heh, nice plate.

Yep definitely some "cosmetic touches" needed, but I need a distraction from work.

the J33 does have meaning, more coincidental than intended. J cus 92 should be on a J plate, 33 my family home where i grew up is no 33, DST are my initials. The plate was an 18th birthday pressie so i've had it a few years now (i'm now 25).

I have another custom plate currently on a written off car for my business (Moov2 Ltd) the plate reads M2 00V which was bog standard £250 price which was cool.

#11 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:39 AM

Hello and welcome to TheMiniForum

Enjoy B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users