5 replies to this topic

#1 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

Recently converted my 998 mayfair to a 1275 carbed cooper. During the transformation i kept the solenoid on the offside inner wing and wired in the pre-engaged starter motor with its own solenoid. When i reconnected it all up i foolishly connected the battery up before id finished wiring the solenoid on the starter motor and when i put on the large spade connector there was a massive spark and now the bleedin thing wont start. Could i have blown up the solenoid on the starter? Ive replaced the old solenoid on the wing as they're only a tenner but the pre-engaged solenoid is £100!!! :genius: I get a click-click when i turn the key but the engine wont turn over. Ive hit it, charged the battery replaced the solenoid, what next??

Please help,

thanks james

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:07 AM

If there was a large spark when you connected the spade, then you're wiring is wrong, as that line should only be live when the ingnition key is turned to start the car...

So probably... it'll be cheaper to get a replacement starter motor..

You will also need some sort of relay (you can use the old soleniod to do this ) which will isolate the feed to the P/E solenoid as it's a high current draw....

#3 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

So could i have bust it? It was starting fine before which is weird?

#4 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

are you using the correct flywheel and starter motor?? they are not interchangable!! if its the 1275 flywheel u must use the pre-engaged starter and convert the wiring over!! or use the original 998 flywheel and starter and original wiring!!

converting the wiring is not the easiest thing to do if you're going to pre engaged!! lots easier to go the other way which unfortunately you arent going to do!!

#5 chunkyjh

chunkyjh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

Sorted the problem of the starter motor not being able to turn the flywheel. The bolts that hold the clutch slave cylinder onto the flywheel housing were too long and stopped the flywheel moving. However its still not working. Ive had the starter motor off and know it works. Its the wiring thats wrong and ive tried every combination. Its gunna go to the garage because im totally stumped

#6 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:49 AM

actually having thought somewhat about it!! you should be able to get away with the pre engaged starter in the correct location with just one solenoid!!

run the big wire from the solenoid to the starter as normal and then run a wire thru from the same place on the solenoid to the big wide male spade terminal on the starter!! i guess it should be a pretty thick wire!! 30amps shud be more than plenty of capability!!

you havent got to re-rout all you're charging circuit!!

this should work fine because in essence all you're doing is putting power on the activate terminal at the same time as you're putting power on the starter!! its worth a go!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users