51 replies to this topic

#46 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

The original OP has gone a bit quiet which is a shame for updates.

#47 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

Attached File  mini fan.JPG   49.97K   2 downloads

Thanks!  I could not see anything that said 'Engine side', but as the fan spins anti-clockwise from the photo, attached, it means air is blown from the direction of the engine towards the radiator.  So I believe this is the correct configaration? 

#48 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:59 PM

attachicon.gif mini fan.JPG

Thanks!  I could not see anything that said 'Engine side', but as the fan spins anti-clockwise from the photo, attached, it means air is blown from the direction of the engine towards the radiator.  So I believe this is the correct configaration? 

Yes that is correct. 

It could be your radiator is partially clogged with sludge and not flowing fluid sufficiently. So at lower speeds, lower flow rate than normal through rad and hence heat build up. At higher revs/road speeds, more air over the engine, more coolant flow rate as water pump operates faster. 

If not done recently, have the entire system flushed/descaled (there are descaling liquids that can be run through the system to perform this). Ideally, would be good to check flow through the rad with the hoses removed by running a water hose into it. Any auto shop should be able to do this for you for a reasonable cost if you can't do it yourself.

#49 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

These kinds of issues can be hard to diagnose from this side of the screen and keyboard, but I'd be steered towards looking at the Pump, it sounds like it's worn. I'd also suggest cleaning of the water jacket, which I've found a product like CLR is quite good for.

#50 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:08 AM

I should add, the car has 55,000km on it.  So not over-used (<but that can also not be a good thing).  The car has spent its life in a part of France with hard water the same as you get in Kent.  It wouldn't surprise me if someone was topping it up with tap water.  I did flush it 4 years ago until it was running clear and smooth, but will do again.  With 3 young kids, just a case of when, but I'll come back to update eventually and follow advice on flushing, new pump, heater flushing, etc, just do it all in one go.

#51 mullet

mullet

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 November 2021 - 08:28 PM

Hi Community.  For some reason - I am sure many of you would know the answer - replacing all the spark/ignition cables seemed to result in less overheating.  That said, I still think it overheats too easily.  I can imagine I would be in trouble sitting in traffic on a hot day for more than 20 minutes.

By chance, I saw someone flushing their radiator system using citric acid on a youtube video (not a mini), and it seemed to remove a lot of rust debris.  Perhaps this is an option?

I did flush it with plain water a couple of years ago and it came out very murky.  So if there is rust debris lose and flushable, could there be a lot rust attached like a clogged artery?  Could this be the cause?

Edited by mullet, 08 November 2021 - 08:34 PM.

#52 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 November 2021 - 05:55 PM

I've moved this thread over to technical as it may get a better response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users