3 replies to this topic

#1 Nigeunders

Nigeunders

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

I was just wondering if anybody knew if it is worth tuning the 1100 engine or is the stroke to long to make it worthwhile. If it is what mods do you recommend? I've allready got a 12g295 head that I was going to put on my 998 and a stage 1 kit.

Regards Nige

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

1098's are great for modding, they're a lovely torquey engine and can really be turned into hot little motors!

the 12G295 head is a great choice of mod.. isn't it a cooper head?, it would benefit even more if you were to do a little work on it and open it up a little. But it should make quite a noticeable differnce bolted straight on anyway! Personally i would source a 12G940 large bore head. But this involves either pocketing the block, or sinking the exhaust valves into the head by about 40thou+

The stage 1kit will be fine to bolt on too, except i imagine the needle for the carb that is usually supplied for the 998 will not be right for a 1098, you'll probably have to source another one.

Other than the stage 1, 2 and whatever kits you can get, and short of a rebore, I'd recommend fitting a hotter cam into it too, you don't need anything too lary, just something with some kick in it, I seem to remember someone on here mentioned they'd fitted an MG metro cam to the 1098 and produced some really good results! couple this with the head you have and it should be flyer if the rest of the engine is set up to cope with the extra ponies!

Edited by Retro_10s, 30 October 2006 - 12:22 PM.

#3 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:51 PM

i had the mentioned mg cam :genius: pulled to 6000rpm ok but i really didnt want to take it much further without fitting arp bottom end bolts!! it had ported 295 head too!! the kent 266 gives good results but starts to get a little wobbly with tickover!! 256 or swiftune sw5 are excelent!!

get a proper aldon dizzy and get it setup on the rollers!! you shud get 50 or above bhp at the wheels with bags of grunt to go with it!

#4 Nigeunders

Nigeunders

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for all your help will now start striping said engine just to make sure bottom end is all ok.

Nige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users