#1 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Local Club: Teeside Yesteryear Motor Club

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:17 PM

I have a problem. The hole into which the bolt for the top engine steady screws has obviously been drilled out at some point and so has no thread, as I found when the bolt dropped out the other week. I took it to a guy who usually does repairs on it and he said that he can't put any thread into the hole so is going to build a bracket that will then be attatched to the engine and the steady. I am worried that this will majorly get in the way and spoil the look of the engine. Is there a way of fixing a bolt into the hole just so it looks right and then securing it another way or is a top engine steady essential?
Is there a way of fixing another steady at another point?
Has anybody else had this problem as I'd like a fairly permanent fix for it that does not spoil the look of the engine but will prevent damage from rocking too much.
I've heard about these ultimate engine steadys but don't they only fit on some cars and make alot of noise?
Help would be appreciated.
Tis a '63 Elf

#2 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:13 PM

Anybody?

#3 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:21 PM

While you're waiting for an expert (I'm not) you might like to search for "engine steady" in the postings and see if there is anything helpful. I know it's a bit like reading a magazine in the waiting room but you never know ... :genius:

#4 Elfie

Elfie

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

I know I have searched but there isnt anything about needing a top engine steady, whether it's essential or not, and theres nothing on how to fit another top steady.

#5 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

i'm not an expert, but i think you should be able to do away with it completely, providing you steady it up somewhere else. try searching for "ultimate engine steady", these, or it does on mine, goes from the thermostat housing to the bulkhead... :genius:

#6 BiMU

BiMU

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

Im using the following guide Engine Steady Bushes to change the bushes. It shows where the steadies are and additional ones. This might help?

#7 Total Richie

Total Richie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Local Club: Bristol

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:02 PM

one quick idea, get longer bolt and cut the head off weld this into the hole put the engine steady back on and use a nut to secure it.

#8 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

KAD lower steadies are brilliant and stop the rocking, for the top to rock, the bottom has to too.

Ultimate engine steadies are far from ultimate and far from ideal, they can just get in the bloody way.

#9 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:19 PM

Woao waoa wooaa!! Contact MiniSpares, they sell several brackets that allow you to affix the engine steady if that bolt has sheared, or theres no thread, etc, since its a common problem.

Theres one you can get, thats a bracket that bolts to the top two bolts on your flywheel casing then the engine steady bolts to that.

#10 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

Ultimate engine steadies are far from ultimate and far from ideal, they can just get in the bloody way.

:genius: made me chuckle!

#11 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:29 PM

i bloody hated fitting my ultimate engine stedy. got it all on after 3 hours of grunting and huffing to fit it only to notice i forget about the heater pipe.

was not a happy chappy.

#12 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

it's so true though!

#13 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:17 PM

Woao waoa wooaa!! Contact MiniSpares, they sell several brackets that allow you to affix the engine steady if that bolt has sheared, or theres no thread, etc, since its a common problem.

Theres one you can get, thats a bracket that bolts to the top two bolts on your flywheel casing then the engine steady bolts to that.

Yeah I had one of those fitted to my Mini once and they certainly do the job. But I guess if your engine was out then a garage could fit a suitable "Helicoil" so the original bolt & bracket could have been used? :genius:

#14 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

it's so true though!

yeah the name is mis leading! :genius:

#15 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

you big bunch of jessies (no insult meant just a littel jest :P) never had a problem wit them!! can be awkward on a head change if u want to leave it in place i will give you that but nothing major!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users