202 replies to this topic

#76 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

i just wanted a rough comparison. would love to see how this compares to a rear engined R1.

whats motorway driving going to be like? 80mph - ??rpm

J

Looking at it, I reckon Bosanova's mini should be doing 80mph at 7777rpm with another 2750rpm left to give 108mph. Mine will be geared for 130mph at 10500rpm and will do 80mph at 6461rpm.

#77 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

oldskoolbaby, what sprockets are you going to use?

any more progress on the kits? will the gearing be an option in the kit?

J

#78 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:18 PM

Sorry Bosanova, I feel like Im taking over your threads here mate. I do appolagise.

Cant remember the sprocket numbers off the top of my head but Jon did mention something about the possibility of a slighty shorter final drive. I want mine to be slightly longer though as I reckon with the fwd R1 set up, hooking up in first or even second may be a problem.

#79 Bosanova

Bosanova

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local Club: .

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Sorry Bosanova, I feel like Im taking over your threads here mate. I do appolagise.

Cant remember the sprocket numbers off the top of my head but Jon did mention something about the possibility of a slighty shorter final drive. I want mine to be slightly longer though as I reckon with the fwd R1 set up, hooking up in first or even second may be a problem.

No problem , post as much as you want :D
I was wondering about traction problems also , but with the new low final ratio have i now, the top speed on first gear will be 50mph@ 10500.

That seems to be a pretty tall first gear, and with only 110 nm of torque from this motor i thought it wouldent spinn the tires to much.?
Maybe a first gear burnout on the first testrun is in order B)

#80 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

Not sure what R1 motor your using mate, but Im sure they dont produce that much torque. More around 80, 90lb/ft. I know once they are tuned up using High compression forged pistons, uprated rods, 3 angle valve seats and differents cams 175 bhp is on the cards. Not sure about the torque though. Bloody good for a 998 though.

#81 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

lol. Oldskoolbaby!!! 110NM is about 80FT/LB

#82 miff

miff

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

i just wanted a rough comparison. would love to see how this compares to a rear engined R1.

whats motorway driving going to be like? 80mph - ??rpm

J

Looking at it, I reckon Bosanova's mini should be doing 80mph at 7777rpm with another 2750rpm left to give 108mph. Mine will be geared for 130mph at 10500rpm and will do 80mph at 6461rpm.

but what`s the weekly shopping trip like? GRIFF.

#83 miff

miff

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:33 AM

and my engine is in the front and and at 7500rpm is definately going to compare well if not better overall in an everyday situation than your out of puff r1 motor in a car reguardless of how many bhp you put through it, and i own two r1s a 04 and a 99 and your dragging a lot more wieght about and you have got to get it there at a lot more expense, and you have lost the back of the car great if your`e single.

#84 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

and my engine is in the front and and at 7500rpm is definately going to compare well if not better overall in an everyday situation than your out of puff r1 motor in a car reguardless of how many bhp you put through it, and i own two r1s a 04 and a 99 and your dragging a lot more wieght about and you have got to get it there at a lot more expense, and you have lost the back of the car great if your`e single.

Do you know what FWD stands for LOL????? Have you seen mine and Bosanovas cars?? Hardly everyday cars, wouldn't you agree? I wouldn't call 140 bhp as standard out of puff. Doesn't matter how much weight its pulling around either. 160bhp is 160bhp, whether its being produced by a balls out italian V12 or an ellastic band. It still means these cars will have around 270bhp/tonne. If your thinking in terms of torque, the R1 offers plenty enough for a Mini. Fair play if you've fit an XE in the front of a clubman but how much more heavy is it for it? Power to weight ratio? Handling/traction compared to a lighter Mini?

Not only that, but If you think were putting R1 engines in the front to be dawdled around town i.e everyday driving, I think your very much mistaken.

A bike engine powered car is a completly different perspective to a Vtec, XE, K seires or any other type of car powered Mini. Check out the Extreme Mini DVD for example. Im sure Ive seen a yellow 195+bhp Vtec get wooped by much smaller engined stuff on one of those films(Correct me if Im wrong).

As the the torque issue, I am a muppet ;) I read it a bit too quickly and got my nm mixed up with my lb/ft..................

.....honestly
:D

Edited by Oldskoolbaby, 26 January 2007 - 02:01 AM.

#85 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

older carbed engines produce about 70ft/lb's of torque at 8500rpm and 140bhp at about 11000 rpm the later fuel injected engines more powerful and thats in a bike with airbox and corect ex-up exhaust system

my mrs 1275 mini produces about 70ft/ld of torque,60bhp and thats extremely fun to drive and pulls nicely so i hope the fwd R1 is as easy to drive normally and shouldnt steer itself all over the place with torque steer like an XE the R1 motor will definatly be lighter and will be a bit different to all the other 16v motors out there

i hope darren finishes mine soon i cant wait to get out there and drive it!

#86 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

If you mini is so great why sell it?

Slagging off other peoples conversion doesn't help, you don't like bike engine conversions, fine, keep it yourself

David

#87 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

Another thing aswell MIFF, have you extended the front?.........

......nuff said.

Edited by Oldskoolbaby, 26 January 2007 - 08:49 PM.

#88 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

His is a clubman so it isnt extended. :genius:

#89 koss

koss

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • Local Club: The Greenbank working mens social club

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(miff @ Jan 14 2007, 02:07 PM) *
cavalier mk2 dizzy i don`t know what diff is in it that was done by a garage, but it does struggle putting the power on the road in 1st 2nd and third, the engine has had some tuning work done to it as well, it is at 197 bhp, i was told the f28 box has a limited slip diff as standard and that it would fit the f20 box, surely this would put the power on the road. i own an r1 with an lsd in it and compared to standard it`s unreal, MIFF

Am I getting confused

#90 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:03 PM

I did think that myself but Im not sure if he owns an R1 powered mini as well. If not though, how do you fit an LSD to an R1? Even a diff for that matter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users