Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:00 PM

A change from drums to discs should make me less likely to crash 

That's not how they look at it, whet they see is, "that bloke has fitted better brakes so he's more likely to drive faster than your average punter, so if he has an accident he's likely to be travelling faster". Not always the case, but they're managing their risk based on previous claims.

Then you could argue you were just  maintaining your car in a roadworthy condition with the closest available factory parts - still best to declare & avoid any such argument altogether. 

#17 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:49 PM

Well I messed up.
I informed them of the major mods on the phone but when it came to the online form there was categories for everything.So,being the honest guy I am, I went through the receipts that came with the van and listed everything I could find.
My premium has now gone from £95 to an extra 35% for undisclosed mods plus a £30 admin fee !
I could cancel but they charge £30 to do so.
Lesson learnt here

#18 Cooper Mac

Cooper Mac

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:17 AM

Thanks all.  The email with confirmation approach makes a lot of sense, it seems odd though that they don't suggest this themselves. 

It's Footman James on an agreed value policy.  The price was reasonable and they were pleasant to deal with and as the van's been off the road most of the time I haven't worried too much but their approach to the modifications always niggled.   I have some new mods to declare too like disc brakes so need to get this right. 

The policy is limited mileage too but they never ask for evidence of it, actually they only asked what it was the first year.

Might give Lancaster a ring.  I have a mate with Flux who has everything stated but I've heard a lot of mixed reports about them.  Any other suggestions for good companies?

There must be a lot of people with Minis where they've been modified by previous owners and the present owner isn't aware that it isn't standard.  Wonder how many problems that causes!

I'm interested that you are insured with Footman James, my 205 is insured with them and twice I have asked about insuring my Mini with them, but was told that they don't insure modified cars!

As for the limited mileage, the insurance company will get this information from MOT data (assuming that the car is of MOTable age?) so it's worth not going over your quoted mileage, or it's an excuse for them not to pay out!

#19 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:54 PM

I'm interested that you are insured with Footman James, my 205 is insured with them and twice I have asked about insuring my Mini with them, but was told that they don't insure modified cars!

As for the limited mileage, the insurance company will get this information from MOT data (assuming that the car is of MOTable age?) so it's worth not going over your quoted mileage, or it's an excuse for them not to pay out!

They definitely insured it for a 998 cc engine when it originally had an 850 as that was listed on the schedule.

I'm well under the mileage limit.

#20 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:01 PM

I was going to try Lancaster but read quite a few mixed reviews so thought I'd give FJ another chance.  However their website and phone lines were down and have been for days now.  If they can't sort that out on top of my issues with them I'm outta there.

I'm with Peter Best now.  Fairly straight forward to sort out on phone, modifications all accepted - most listed on their paperwork and those that wouldn't fit one of their drop down boxes that they fill in are on the list I emailed to them.  They have confirmed receipt of the information and have attached it to my file.  Oh and it was cheaper!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users