63 replies to this topic

#61 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:09 PM

I think if you can find the right road it'll be a lot of fun !!

#62 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

All depends on the traffic on the roads you're planning to drive it on, your final drive ratio and what you're prepared to put up with. As above-a lot of fun on the right roads!
I'm running a 649 based cam on the road (MED's fia15 historic race cam) with a straight cut box and 3.9:1 FD, I love it on traffic free roads and in the lanes, far more fun than my previous 286 was.
But it can be hard work even in light traffic, doesn't really want to be under 3000rpm so isn't comfortable under 45mph in top gear.
Open it up though and and it's a completely different ball game!

#63 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:34 PM

All depends on the traffic on the roads you're planning to drive it on, your final drive ratio and what you're prepared to put up with. As above-a lot of fun on the right roads!
I'm running a 649 based cam on the road (MED's fia15 historic race cam) with a straight cut box and 3.9:1 FD, I love it on traffic free roads and in the lanes, far more fun than my previous 286 was.
But it can be hard work even in light traffic, doesn't really want to be under 3000rpm so isn't comfortable under 45mph in top gear.
Open it up though and and it's a completely different ball game!

Oh yes, the famous old 649.

I once built a 1964 FIA Group 2 Cooper 'S' 1071 rally car. It had 11:1 CR, a 649, ultra-light flywheel, twin H4's, big-valve head, forged pistons, etc., etc. Final drive was 4.1:1 and gear set was SC CR.

It had nothing below about 3600 rpm, came on-cam at about 4500 rpm and really flew when the revs were between 5500 and 7200 rpm (90 mph in 4th). It got some good results including a class win (up to 1200 cc) in the Belgian Historic International Rally.

On the road, though, it was, quite simply, a nightmare. Blooming lovely car though which my best friend took to Los Angeles. 

#64 fiestaharry

fiestaharry

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:44 PM

Agreed with all 3 comments, if i dont like it i am just going to have to get it swapped out, its only money i suppose.

The only advantage is its not a daily driver, will highly unlikely ever get driver in bad conditions and will most likely get used on 'nice' roads.  

Edited by fiestaharry, 22 January 2021 - 09:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users