#1 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Hi guys!!!

My mini has sat for awhile now, and my break pedal is awfully stiff. It takes alot of force to move it 2 inches. Anybody have any ideas what is wrong with this? Thanks!!

#2 nomininolife

nomininolife

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Mates

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

It sounds like it could be partial seizure in the master cylinder.

#3 Awlred Drives a Quant

Awlred Drives a Quant

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Local Club: Tyred and Exhausted

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:36 PM

It sounds like it could be partial seizure in the master cylinder.

Yeah mine was like that for the first couple of months I was driving it but it loosened up....if you bleed the system through it might help loosen it.

#4 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

if u have a servo it could be jsut that the servo has no more vacuum in it!! this will mak the pedal seem harder than normal!! what year is it?

#5 Protarmic

Protarmic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:34 PM

if u have a servo it could be jsut that the servo has no more vacuum in it!! this will mak the pedal seem harder than normal!! what year is it?

It is a 85 mayfair. It doesnt have a servo so perhaps it is the master cylinder. I will bleed the system this weekend also! Thanks guys!!

#6 Bounce

Bounce

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:11 PM

If there is air in the system the pedal would feel spongey so i doubt its that

#7 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

What tends to happen is on any car left standing, as the metal parts of the braking components, take the disks for example are exposed to the to moisture in the air surrounding them, they rust over very quickly. now this isn't really a problem for a car that’s used every day as the build up that forms when left is normally worn off after a few applications of the brakes.

But for a car that has been left for quite a while will have quite a build up of rust on the braking components, and in much the same way you have to bed in new disks and pads, the braking components will not be making full contact with each other and reduce braking performance, causing the pedal to be a little stiffer than normal, and will so need a little more effort to stop till all the rust has been worn off.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much as it should fee up after use.

#8 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:45 PM

its a non servo cylinder!! the handbrake is probably on!! getting 2" of movement is going to be a miracle!! you shudnt get much in a well setup system anyway!!i usually found most of the pedal travel is in the rear cylinders

if the handbrake has been on a long time the rear cylinders or shoes mite have siezed!! does the mini move at all??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users