7 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:58 AM

Hi, I'm looking at replacing my rear subframe. There seem to be some shortages in the market - M Machine are out of stock, for example. Just looking for advice on where to source the best fitting kit as some suppliers don't indicate who the manufacturer is. Bit wary about some of the fitting problems I've read about on the forum. Heritage a potential but more expensive option.

Also, stupid question, do the fitting kits provide everything I'll need, or is there anything else I need to keep an eye on when refitting?

Thanks.

#2 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:32 AM

This will open a can of worms - and probably leave you scratching your head with still no direction to go in

Anyway - my thoughts - a lot of the junk is now gone. The subbys you used to see outside the motorists shops - propped up the walls - gone.

You shouldn't have much of a problem if you buy from a reputable supplier - Heritage or not. I found the after-market subframes heavier than the Heritage, and a good deal of weld applied.

Rear fitting kits are available to buy complete - I used to sell them when we were UK based along with front subframe fitting kits or complete rear and front kits, but yes rear kits are available.

The real problems I found was that if the rear heel board had been replaced - and not set and fitted correctly - this gave the Mini it's crabbing effect - along with a spurious subframe from Jo Bobs Autos. As I say most of these makers have gone now, leaving the reputable firms

You will be hard pressed to get a manufacturers name from a supplier of subframes

That's my two pennies worth anyway. Buy from a good supplier - take your time fitting - and you will be fine. 

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:20 AM

As above you'll only get a subframe that will fit. What I will add is to consider getting radius arms refurbished and a new Bush kit.

Also consider adding some welds to add additional strength. Then paint it in 2k gloss black (or any colour you wish) for added protection.

Whilst the subframe is out make sure the body around it gets corrosion checked, painted and protected.

Hope this helps

Regards

Cal

Edited by cal844, 25 October 2020 - 11:23 AM.

#4 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:21 AM

I fitted a non genuine frame with no issues, however a lot of people will frown upon this. Maybe I got lucky

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:33 AM

I have a non genuine rear frame to go into a customers car right now and using it initially to check for fit when replacing the panels looks good.

I had to slightly enlarge the holes on the front of the frame for the trunnion pins but everything looks fine.

I've not fitted the frame up with rear arms etc but should be fine

I was reading about some frames not being well finished but this one is great compared with the rubbish you used to see.

Just strip it back and paint it properly with decent paint.

As for suppliers, this one came from bull motif

#6 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

Thanks everyone, great advice.

#7 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:49 PM

when it comes to fitting, and as Ben noted above, trial fit the the front trunnion pins to the subframes without any bushes to check the shoulder below the threaded portion does butt up against the panel it goes through

can also help to with fitting to only tighten trunnion pins nuts after the heelboard mounts have been bolted up - does mean you'll have to fit the radius arms after the subframe is attached though...

#8 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 26 October 2020 - 04:40 PM

Give it a weeks worth of lubrication and penetrating oil before you start..

Plus gas is so look much better than wd-40 (water disperent)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users