12 replies to this topic

#1 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:17 PM

Hi, can somebody recommend a ball joint splitter for lower arms?

Thanks Mike.

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 12:21 PM

I use one of these types http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:42 PM

I use a steel fork type splitter with a longer handle.

#4 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:46 PM

Same as Cal - 2 pronged fork - works a treat - never failed on splitting a joint once

#5 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:55 PM

I've got three main types - fork, small threaded press, larger scissor press (excuse the Halfords links, no doubt there will be better options than Laser). Of the three I tend to use the middle one the most because it fits nicely around the end of the lower arm.

Sometimes none of them work and all that shifts it is a big hammer to the side of the arm.

#6 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:25 PM

Ive bought the Minispares type one but from Halfords, will see if it works.

I have one of those long forked types but find it splits the rubber boots - granted I havent used it on the Mini though.

#7 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 03:56 PM

I have one of those long forked types but find it splits the rubber boots - granted I havent used it on the Mini though.

I bought one of those for doing the ball joints on our BMW Minis and found the same, but, to be honest, if I'm that far into that kind of job I'll just replace the joints while I'm there. (I had to buy a 4kg lump hammer for the same reason - they don't come out easy).

Edited by Icey, 26 October 2020 - 03:57 PM.

#8 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

Buy the hammer before the splitter...

Always makes you feel better bashing things.....

#9 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:31 PM

I use this type : http://www.minispare...50.aspx|Back to

For multiple reasons. Dont have to hammer ( no risk of slipping of jack stands), and presses in the right direction. Scissor types always lose some force in side loading.

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:17 PM

I use one of these types http://www.minispare...|Back to search

I have a couple of this style, one in a Club brand and the other in a Sykes. The Club one I've had for about 35 years and is starting to show the amount of use it's had, so I bought the Sykes one about 5 years back for the day when the Club finally gives up.

I also have a long Fork Type that I use if I'm replacing joints (or Rubbers) or if I get a really stubborn one.

I use this type : http://www.minispare...50.aspx|Back to

For multiple reasons. Dont have to hammer ( no risk of slipping of jack stands), and presses in the right direction. Scissor types always lose some force in side loading.

These are pretty good, but really, only light I found. On Ball Joints, I found it would do less than 1/2 of them. If it's something that's been together a few years, forget it. You have a good point about the side force from the Scissor type though.  I use this one on the Steering Rod Ends now and  that's all.

#11 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:47 PM

Its horses for courses. In the workshop we use 6 different types. Two sizes of the fork type, for differing diameters of pin, but as said this type usually destroys the rubber boot. Next we have the cup type , but care has to be observed to not damage any threaded pin, we use this mainly where a cotter pin holds the joint in place, then we have 3 types of scissor splitters. All the scissor types are Sykes units and very good in terms of longevity all being in excess of 20yrs and all frequently used. The smaller scissor type used on the joints found on motorcycles/quadbikes, then their standard size type for general car and light commercial use. Finally we have a larger scissor type with a hydraulic ram to apply the pressure this being used mainly on 4x4 and light commercials. 

For general car use its the standard scissor type from Sykes that is the "go to" one every time. A good quality tool that will not let you down and can take some abuse.

Of course other makes of splitter are available.

#12 will_nic

will_nic

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Traders
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 06:07 PM

I've got the Halfords scissor type ball joint splitter and it works great, never had any issues. I tend to load up a bit of pressure then give the joint a few taps on the side with a mallet and it'll pop right off.

Ive bought the Minispares type one but from Halfords, will see if it works.

#13 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

I bought the scissor type from Halfords.

Really good to use. Wish Id bought one years ago instead of the fork type you hit with a hammer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users