Photo

Door Hinge Problem

Best Answer sonikk4 , 31 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

I'm erring to the side of saying that what you have there are pattern hinges. 

You really shouldn't have to put a spacer between the hinge and door carcass. I know the pattern hinges we had for my lads car i had to thin them down as dimensionally they were not the same as OE hinges.

My son had bought a set of DSN's lightweight door hinges that are dimensionally correct to OE hinges. I gapped the doors to the pattern hinges we had and when we went to fit the DSN ones it completely threw the door out. So after checking with the DSN boys we had to stick with the pattern hinges. There was a 2mm + difference in thickness as in thicker. So instead of messing around he opted to fit the pattern hinges. I did a lot of work on those hinges as well to get clearances but that was down to me adding metal to the edge of the door to close the gaps up.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:06 AM

Good morning all

I had the doors sand blasted, fitted new hinges, then found that the top hinge on the off side when in open position is very close to the edge of the door, i mean VERY close and almost touching where the near side clears nicely. an ideas to solve the problem?

thank you in advance for any ideas

John

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:12 AM

Needs shimming I guess.

Or adjusting - take the weight off with a jack then undo the hinge nuts in the wing, adjust and retighten.

#3 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:28 AM

Thank you for the answer, the door is not fitted yet, the hinges are just fitted to the door, I did not want to fit yet due to this issue of `poor` fitting and thought that when fitted to the frame, it may sag and create a more serious issue (take off the paint)

thank again for the reply

#4 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:32 AM

Maybe it needs the weight of the door to increase the spacing?

Pictures would help.

Tape up all of your metal work to prevent scratching when your time comes.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 31 October 2020 - 10:40 AM

New hinges, pattern or genuine??

Pattern hinges can be slightly different in thickness as we found out to my sons cost but a lesson learnt.

When you fitted the hinges and installed the door, did you check the gaps all round??

#6 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:02 AM

LOL please read the posts, the doors arent fitted yet.

#7 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:36 AM

Hi guys

problem trying to download the pics, but hopefully you can see the two doors with top hinges???

thank you for the reply`s so far

#8 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 11:38 AM

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

No pictures, are you trying to use Imgur??

If your hinges are too close on the door frame to the edge then it sounds like its a hinge issue or some more info needed. Have you had new skins fitted?? was there any damage to the frame ie cracking thats been repaired??

I thought i had pictures of the pattern hinges i had to fettle on my lads car but no joy.

#10 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:23 PM

Hi again and thank all  for your input

sorry, but the site does not seem to post the pics?

I have put the original hinge on and the same issue appears, (hinge on door, not fitted to car) when turning the hinge, it just touches the door edge? all is the same as when taken off except it was sandblasted. I have made a spacer to go behind the hinge to the door and this seems to have solved the issue for now, but not sure as yet if it will affect the rest when putting the door on the car? I will keep you informed if there is further issues :-)

thank you again, and any further thoughts would be appreciated

John

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:30 PM

Hi again and thank all  for your input

sorry, but the site does not seem to post the pics?

I have put the original hinge on and the same issue appears, (hinge on door, not fitted to car) when turning the hinge, it just touches the door edge? all is the same as when taken off except it was sandblasted. I have made a spacer to go behind the hinge to the door and this seems to have solved the issue for now, but not sure as yet if it will affect the rest when putting the door on the car? I will keep you informed if there is further issues :-)

thank you again, and any further thoughts would be appreciated

John

No the site wont host pictures. We ask everyone to use a hosting platform like Imgur. Please don't use Photobucket.

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

You still haven"t said if the door has been re skinned. 

I think once you get some pictures up we will be able to make a better call on your issue.

#13 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:09 PM

Hi Neil

not re-skinned, as posted is the same as when taken off except sandblasted and re-painted.

thanks again, will try to post pics

https://imgur.com/a/Xy4rZVB

many thanks

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 06:40 PM   Best Answer

I'm erring to the side of saying that what you have there are pattern hinges. 

You really shouldn't have to put a spacer between the hinge and door carcass. I know the pattern hinges we had for my lads car i had to thin them down as dimensionally they were not the same as OE hinges.

My son had bought a set of DSN's lightweight door hinges that are dimensionally correct to OE hinges. I gapped the doors to the pattern hinges we had and when we went to fit the DSN ones it completely threw the door out. So after checking with the DSN boys we had to stick with the pattern hinges. There was a 2mm + difference in thickness as in thicker. So instead of messing around he opted to fit the pattern hinges. I did a lot of work on those hinges as well to get clearances but that was down to me adding metal to the edge of the door to close the gaps up.

#15 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2020 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Neil

the hinge that is the problem (so far) is the original, I have an aftermarket which is giving the same problem, I think it must have been something the sand blaster guys have done?? not sure what as the back section the hinge bolts onto really beefs up the door at that point, but when you send stuff to other people, you can never guarantee their work, and only know what they have done when you try and put things back together :-(

appreciate your help and thoughts.

many thanks

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users