#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,898 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:52 PM

,,,,,, Vent tube drops overflow right on the exhaust pipe near where silencer connects!

Makes perfect sense !

#17 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:22 AM

My first fuel up on my first motorcycle, I was expecting the filler to auto stop when nozzle gets below fuel level, just like happens with cars. Well, on the small volume (16 L) tank, fuel burped up and out the tank, dumped loads down onto hot engine! I sure jumped back fully expecting it to go boom....but no such excitement! Learned that liquid gasoline is actually pretty resistant to igniting unless there is a spark of some kind. 

#18 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 11:09 PM

Ive applied teflon thread sealant between the brass collar and tank neck, and between lid threads and brass collar. Topped up tank and went driving. Still having wetness outside/underside of cap. Im thinking the only likely place left is the nut threaded to the spring loaded sealing plate. If fuel gets past nut to brass plate surface, it is now outside the rubber seal abd free to pass outside and down filler neck.
Will look at a sealing washer or similar. Might also recheck the caps vent hole, I have attempted to seal it but maybe not fully.

#19 Tornado99

Tornado99

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:04 AM

I've replaced the monza flip cap with a locking, ventless type. No more fuel leaks after fill up. I suspect the monza cap was letting fuel leak from the vent hole, despite my efforts to seal it.

Anyway, should be good to go now. I may get an Aston style flip cover for the locking cap one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users