24 replies to this topic

#16 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:04 PM

I have the same problem. When the day is very cold, the heating is insufficient to demist the glass. I repaired and sealed the heater box a couple of years ago, and I noticed some improvement, but it's not enough.

Have I ever thought about whether it is possible to trick electrically by putting an electric multiplier or a booster right at the entrance of the wires that feed the engine so that the turbine rotates faster, and more air comes out towards the glass.

#17 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 07 December 2020 - 12:09 PM

I'm prototyping an improved heater to fit in the existing space over here: https://www.theminif...d-heaterblower/

Feel free to chip in as I'm looking for feedback/use cases :) Progress won't be that quick atm, as I'll need to do some junkyard trips to find suitable heater control panels, cage fans etc.

#18 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:33 PM

I had not seen your post. Fantastic job and to award a trophy if you manage to complete your improved heater matrix.

My idea was to keep the original heater box but placing a variable resistance or potentiometer so that the fan rotates faster. With this I do not get the air to come out 'hotter' but it does in more quantity. What do you think?

Regards, Luis

#19 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:08 AM

If you've got one of those shammy covered sponge demister things they fit perfectly in the down facing heater slot cutting it off completely, the heater air has only one direction left to go. Saves pulling the heater and bonus - it dries out your sponge as well :D

#20 ChrisDrew09

ChrisDrew09

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:43 AM

Before my restoration I did have all sorts of damp/ leaks so that probably didn’t help. Thanks for all the replies, massive help cheers👍🏼

#21 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

My JDM Mini has some sort of after market heater (and wiper) control system. 4 speed heater control and multi speed wipers too.

I couldn’t tell you if the fastest heater fan speed is slower/same/faster than normal though. It does push a good amount of air to the screen.

As mine does have AC I have considered modifying the AC ducting to also feed the windscreen, so it could work similar to how modern cars rapid demist. I haven’t done anything with that thought though, too many other things to play with 🙂

#22 ChrisDrew09

ChrisDrew09

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:43 PM

I use a later type SPI heather and dash vents (they are bigger and more robust then the old ones).

The old ones are smaller, and the part blowing on the screen will most of the time disform due to its age. The later type does not have this problem.

On my car it works verry wel.

i did the same for mine. they seem much better and mines the single speed. however you could spalsh out for the twin speed if you wanted, i dont think they run faster but you can run them slower and leave it on the screen, also check the flap seal as they do work when closing correctly.

How did the pipes fit onto the heater if they’re bigger?

#23 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:13 PM

I use a later type SPI heather and dash vents (they are bigger and more robust then the old ones).

The old ones are smaller, and the part blowing on the screen will most of the time disform due to its age. The later type does not have this problem.

On my car it works verry wel.

i did the same for mine. they seem much better and mines the single speed. however you could spalsh out for the twin speed if you wanted, i dont think they run faster but you can run them slower and leave it on the screen, also check the flap seal as they do work when closing correctly.

How did the pipes fit onto the heater if they’re bigger?

By changing to the SPI heater with the correct size pipes

#24 skoughi

skoughi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Local Club: Shetland classic car club

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:06 PM

Later windscreen funnels, smooth bore pipes with all joins taped up, tape up the floor vents on the heater box and any other leaks that are on the heater box. Seems to work ok after that lot! Once I decide if I'm gonna splash out on an AC/DC tig welder then spend ages learning how to weld aluminium then I think I might construct a heater box that's as compact as possible using the existing fan to vent the windscreen only, and try to get it to sit higher up behind the dash.  

#25 mattj99

mattj99

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:37 PM

I did all the tricks mentioned here. I rebuilt the unit replacing all the foam. I used jubilee clips and tape on all the joints. After that it worked better but still not perfect. Then I got a heated windscreen and honestly it was the best thing I ever did to the car - the windscreen clears in seconds. It was about 150 quid but it made such a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users