3 replies to this topic

#1 A1111j

A1111j

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:08 PM

Hi i have 1971 mini and I have a problem with my mini evertime I turn the lights, Heater or wipers on when the car is running the revs drop alot and cut out if I adjust the idle at 1000rpm or less. I have changed my alternator to a later type still hasn't fixed the problem. All the wiring seems ok. Can anyone help please?

#2 Johnmar

Johnmar

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:33 PM

have you measured how much the (new) alternator is producing. I mean: the alternator can be in perfect order, but is there is a ground issue, you still have a voltage drop and then using a part that uses electric power, you could be draining or dropping and that could influence the ignition/coil etc. So please measure  at the alternator (on idle not using any extra electronics like wipers of heater).

Then do the same at the battery terminals. Please clear the ground connection to the engine, to the battery and check is the coil had good ground .

(just my two eurocents.)

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:22 PM

Sounds like your battery is not doing it’s share so the alternator is working harder than it should. Check battery condition.

#4 A1111j

A1111j

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:44 PM

I got someone to check the output on the alternator and check the battery and it was all good I might clean up the earth points see if it makes a difference. Could it be that iv have fitted the later alternator to my car because the old one was ACR type?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users