I have a 95 SPi Mini which appears to have an aftermarket air con unit fitted. The car was UK built and then spent sometime in Japan (where I believe the AC unit was fitted - however I am just guessing).
Since I have owned the car the AC has never blown cold air, but I'd like to get it working. I have no experience with AC, but I'm hoping for a few tips to help try diagnose the issue.
I have attached some photos of the unit.
What I know:
- The fan speed dial works and does control the speed of the blower - pushes out ambient temp.
- Temp dial does not change temperature
- By memory the AC compressor clutch does engage when the unit is turned on
- I dont know if it has enough or any refrigerant in the system
- Sticker on compressor states refrigerant 'R12', which I believe is now illegal?
From doing a bit of reading the thermostat sounds like a common issue... could this be the problem in my car? Where would I find it and test it?
Thanks so much in advance,