19 replies to this topic

#16 Callump

Callump

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:14 PM

I fitted a brand new 59d dizzy today (going to get it recurved to suit my need soon but for now it’s fine) the car runs perfectly, much more smooth idle and doesn’t seem to hunt anymore. Although when I tried to set the timing with a light it was advanced to roughly 40°, way below the gauge to see how advanced the timing is.... may be a stupid question but if the cam was installed one notch wrong would the car still even run?? Although i triple checked everything I did when rebuilding the engine but I can’t think of why the timing would be so “advanced” but still run perfectly. If I try to retard the timing to where it’s even on the gauge the car cuts out. The timing light is a cheap product so could this be affecting the results I’m getting from it or is that unlikely? Cheers guys

#17 Callump

Callump

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 06:16 PM

Also where the timing is set now the car runs great, idles and Revs up perfectly. I’ve just set the timing by ear now and found a spot where the engine seems to be the happiest.

#18 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:20 PM

Did you have the vacuum pipe connected? if so this may be the right behavior.Steve..

#19 Callump

Callump

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:35 PM

Did you have the vacuum pipe connected? if so this may be the right behavior.Steve..

Yeah the vacuum pipe was connected, surely is shouldn’t be so nearly 40° “advanced” at idle speed though?

Edited by Callump, 02 December 2020 - 08:59 PM.

#20 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:12 PM

Depends on where the vacuum port is the type of vacuum can on the dissy etc.My998 runs more advance than the markings at idle with vacuum connected,some kind of emissions thing when made.Runs 32 degrees at 3500.What settings it should run are guesswork really without test eqpt.Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users