Photo

I'm Really Struggling To Find Some Straight Info On Polishing Coach Enamel To A Mirror Shine, Can Someone Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jjslado

jjslado

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:28 AM

Hi there,

So I will be painting my mini in black coach enamel, I have no problem with fillering, primering and flatting back every coat, but i'm unsure on what to use to polish it to a mirror shine, as I know normal polishing compounds won't work as coach enamel paint is too hard. I've heard about Farecla G3 and G4, and 3m Finesse it working well. Could someone that has actually done this please recommend a good method. I don't mind spending a bit of money on supplies as this is all money saved from paying for a full spray job

Thanks

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:45 PM

Farecla G3 is standard cutting compound as used by many paint shops.

I guess you will be doing a lot of wet sanding before you even consider and compounds.

#3 Vanman20

Vanman20

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:57 PM

Back in the day when synthetics and coach enamels were widely used for flash over resprays no one ever polished them because they just didn't polish up well.If anything they'd lose their gloss when polished.

I doubt it's changed much,you'd be much better off using 2K

#4 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:23 PM

There is a guide to painting with enamel on the Craftmaster paint website and some good examples of the finish that can be achieved.

Craftmaster Paints - The UK's leading traditional paint supplier

It will be interesting to know how you get on and I hope you post some pictures when you finish the car.

#5 jjslado

jjslado

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:26 AM

Yes this is where i've got a paint sample from, super high quality paint. I will be sure to post my results. I'm doing a test run on the bonnet very soon, if it comes out rubbish then i'll just get it sprayed but i thought it would be a worthwhile experiment to run

There is a guide to painting with enamel on the Craftmaster paint website and some good examples of the finish that can be achieved.

Craftmaster Paints - The UK's leading traditional paint supplier

It will be interesting to know how you get on and I hope you post some pictures when you finish the car.

#6 jjslado

jjslado

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:30 AM

Yes lots of wet sanding, I know what to do to full wet sand it and get to the stage just before cutting and polishing, i'm just wondering if anyone had any concrete methods to get a mirror shine with coach enamel. I've heard just using t cut on the whole car then wax can also do a good job 

Farecla G3 is standard cutting compound as used by many paint shops.

I guess you will be doing a lot of wet sanding before you even consider and compounds.

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:26 PM

Please, for the love of God, don't use tcut. You'll need to find a combination of cutting pad and compound, then a refine combination. What to use really depends on so many variables.

#8 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:52 AM

Unfortunately, after reading Craftmaster Paint's description, I doubt you will ever have much success cutting and polishing this paint.

Enamels harden via molecular binding of the paint molecules. This is different to cellulose lacquer, which dry solely by solvent evaporation. 

However, the process of enamel hardening is extremely slow and can take weeks, months, or even years. The surface layer may harden in a day or two, but underneath it will still be soft. Craftmaster's site tells you this when they say:

"The other type of polishing is that commonly associated with automotive refinishing, involving the application of cutting compounds followed by mechanical polishing with mops. We do not generally recommend this for our paintwork and offer no advice on the process. If it must be attempted, then you have to wait for 6-8 weeks after the last coat of paint has been applied. Be aware though you may not be able to improve the shine or depth of the finish and whilst imperfections may be removed, this may be at the cost of some of the shine."

The only ways to make enamel harden quickly and thoroughly is to either provide energy for the hardening process via heat (i.e. a baking oven) or to add a chemical catalyst to speed the hardening reaction. If you don't have a baking heat source or chemical additives, this stuff will not harden for a long, long time.

You can't cut and polish this stuff, not because it is too hard, but quite the opposite  - it's too soft. It hasn't dried underneath the surface. Once you pierce the outer shell of hardened paint you just expose the not-yet-cured lower layers. 

If your goal is a mirror-like finish, you'll either have to apply this product perfectly, or use something else. I feel you will be in for a bad surprise trying to perfect it after application with polish and compound. Craftmaster is already telling you this themselves.

Dave

Edited by bluedragon, 05 December 2020 - 10:53 AM.

#9 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:28 AM

A chap painted his Mini in enamel on one of the facebook groups, he posted a lot of info, not sure which group but the work was outstanding and it was the first time he had done something like this.

Edited by Jase, 10 December 2020 - 11:28 AM.

#10 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 December 2020 - 02:06 PM

Im a member of that FB group, I can link you if you want.

#11 jjslado

jjslado

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 04:17 PM

An update for anyone who was interested, this is 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black coach enamel applied with a foam roller, orange peel flatted with 400 grit, then progressively wet sanded up to 2500, then machine polished with Meguiars 105 then 205. Super amazed with the results! Only thing I am going to do on the full run is do 4-6 coats of paint as it was getting a little thin by the time I'd finished, but not an issue as this was only a test run.

Attached File  bonnet.jpg   49.82K   34 downloads

Done two coats so far on the full thing, it's quite tedious using a roller as runs and drips happen quite a lot, so fair bit of work sorting them out after paint dries. But it's cost me about £300 all out, including buying a rotary polisher, so I can't complain too much.

Attached File  mini.jpg   119.12K   38 downloads

#12 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

That looks great and by far the hardest colour too. Great work you should be proud.

#13 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 04:30 PM

Look up coach painting old cars on facebook.

#14 eric67

eric67

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:36 PM

That looks good and brave of you to hand paint when conventional wisdom is to spray . Did you find using a roller to be better than a brush?

#15 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:02 PM

Have you tried Trizact disc’s after your flatting paper and before you start polishing makes it a lot easier to polish out wet flatting scratches and you will get a lot better finish. Remember plenty of water!!

This is the first link I found to them but maybe better ones out there ? 

https://www.ebay.co....6xoCt6QQAvD_BwE

An another tip you can try if you get your paint and see if the supplier does a universal/ same make hardener for it . This will stop the rice pudding affect ie hard on the top and soft underneath ie like the skin on a rice pudding .

I have tried  2k hardener  in air dried paints to stop the above affect and it’s worked on 90% of them . Get a small pot add paint and then hardener if  it mixes up ok and after 24/ 48 hrs the paint is solid all the way through even if the paint is 2/3 cm thick . Result !! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users