17 replies to this topic

#1 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

At college the other day we were on the net and a friend was looking at the £20 Nitrous kits for his mini moto, annother guy said "hey Sam you should get one for your mini its only small". I said something to the effect of "no you muppet".

However, thinking about it, it might actually work. Pop the hose in the filter air box or make a hole on the inlet manifold and all you would need to do is squeeze a lever. Obviously there will be no correct ammounts as it wont be metred but the engine would be breathing a certain ammount of Nitrous. Or even buy two kits, and squeeze both levers as once for more.

They sell them for about £18 at my local hobby shop, I might get one for giggles and I can always put it on the engine for my go kart if its pointless (which it probably will be)

Anyway, what do you think?

I'll let you know how it goes (or doesnt)

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:41 PM

just remember you need extra fuel to burn

the extra oxygen will just make the car run very lean ;)

#3 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking. Although on a minimoto its just extra oxygen, but that is a 50cc 2 stroke I suppose so a whole different kettle of fish ;)

I'll have a play around if I get one tomorrow!

edit: maybe I wont

Edited by Sammy D, 01 November 2006 - 06:46 PM.

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

Without the extra fuel to burn your pistons will melt

#5 stef

stef

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

i really wouldnt bother. would probasbl do more harm than good.

plus those canisters are tiny.

you can make the kit from a co2 bike pump and a hose and a load of nos canisters for cheaper than you can buy them.

i'd say shoot the gas into a balloon and inhale it, probably a lot more fun

#6 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

you can get the extre fuel from a washer pump, like press on demand kinda thing!! or just pull out the choke!!

just prey you dont get a backfire!! nos does explode and with extra fuel if u get a backfire you could be in a whole load of trouble!!

i've see nos blow a hole in an alloy manifold, bend throttle spindals, destroy butterflies, its not to be messed with lightly!!

#7 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:58 PM

don't trust NOS for a story my dad told me.

My dad (works on rigs) had a mate with a big covett with NOS. Blasting along the road doing 100mph+ (no in this country) the bloke driving decided to give it some nos.

BOOM!

so long nice exspensive corvett.

#8 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:02 AM

Or... get a proper nitrous kit, installed properly, on a corrrectly set up engine which has been rolling roaded to confirm the mixture is correct, and then only use it on track days since, AFAIK Nitrous is not legal for use on the road... u can have it fitted, but only use it on private roads/tracks.

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:08 AM

don't think your even allowed it in the car unless you got one of them compressed gass stickers on the back of your car.

....or did i dream that....oh well.

#10 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:12 AM

i believe there was a haz-chem carrying issue for nos runners but i also have been told by a friend that runs it that if the police pull you up and see that the pipe is removed from the bottle that they cant do a thing!!

#11 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 04:27 AM

Actually, you are supposed to have a hazzard / warning sticker for ANY compressed gas cannisters over a certain size, more so if they contain a volitile or reactive gas (such as N2O - NOS / Nitrous Oxide, C2H2 - Acetylene, or O2 - Oxygen). They are needed in case there is an accident, or a fire, and the police, firebrigade or paramedics need to know there is a dangerous substance onboard.

Also it helps keep the tailgaters back when the see a "flamable / oxidiser - compressed gas" hazzard marker! ;)

SS

#12 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:05 AM

you can get the extre fuel from a washer pump, like press on demand kinda thing!! or just pull out the choke!!

just prey you dont get a backfire!! nos does explode and with extra fuel if u get a backfire you could be in a whole load of trouble!!

i've see nos blow a hole in an alloy manifold, bend throttle spindals, destroy butterflies, its not to be messed with lightly!!

NITROUS OXIDE DOES NOT EXPLODE , it is not even inflamable

Edited by Woody, 02 November 2006 - 07:06 AM.

#13 incrediblerog

incrediblerog

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

NITROUS OXIDE DOES NOT EXPLODE , it is not even inflamable

but with any compressed gas cylinder there is a risk of explosion, regardless of the flamability of the contents.

#14 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

Nos is fine as long as the engine is in a good state of health that can cope with the extra bananas you throw at it, and as long as the kit is installed carefully to match up with the engine spec.

#15 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

bananas bananas bananas!!!! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users