#1 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:04 PM

Spotted for sale in Germany, as I have not seen anything like this before I've kindly requested more info from the seller :-)

Google translated:

Motor conversion for fans of torque. Gross nonsense from the 80s by a Swabian inventor. 2 liter Ford engine on rewelded mini gearbox. Performance with a mediocre cam around 120hp. Was already installed and drove. Has been removed again due to insufficient traction and now has a limited-slip differential. Completely mounted on the frame, with manifold, cooler, Lima, K-Jetronik, etc. One valve is missing. Fits in the original mini engine compartment. No plug and play kit, only for advanced, ambitious screwdrivers, the project requires work and expertise.
If possible, we would like to pick it up so that the buyer can see what he is doing to himself.

U6DM63c.png

3FwK1WK.png

2rNVzQE.png

cTOxVLe.png

JHmTHB0.png

08cnXyV.png

H6WufDL.png

du26rH9.png

Edited by Spherix, 31 March 2021 - 07:06 AM.

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:21 PM

Wow, very interesting. Never seen a pinto on a mini box before. Time for a Cossie head!!

#3 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 04:43 PM

Very inventive!

#4 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 05:32 PM

I've seen this exact conversion before in 2012.

The principle is the same whether using a ford pinto, x-flow, BDA, Lotus twincam or CVH block.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:09 PM

Wow, very interesting. Never seen a pinto on a mini box before. Time for a Cossie head!!

Thats the only way fwd with this. The extra weight with this lump would make for some interesting driving.

Now go Cossie and squeeze in a turbo then we will be talking.

Not a Pinto hater as it goes as i have had a lot of cars with them in and know them well, just not my choice in a mini.

Still i cannot fault the engineering thats gone into doing it. Skills.

#6 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:44 PM

I am amazed that someone went to the trouble of making a boat anchor like the pinto fit the Mini box. It barely gives more power than a decent tuned 1300. Still, a feat of some engineering!

#7 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 08:51 PM

I am amazed that someone went to the trouble of making a boat anchor like the pinto fit the Mini box. It barely gives more power than a decent tuned 1300. Still, a feat of some engineering!

Yup totally agree, I can't think of a worse engine to use, hold on just had a thought he could have used an O series Leyland lump.

Shooter

#8 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:10 PM

Wasnt there a Manx conversion kit / plate back in the day to marry up a Kent lump with a Mini G box?

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 22 December 2020 - 09:14 PM

In the hands of Mr Harris and co the 2ltr will stick out north of 200bhp. Don’t know of any 1300 doing that without a turbo.

But trying to squeeze a pair of 45’s or 48’s in there would prove interesting.

#10 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:50 PM

In the hands of Mr Harris and co the 2ltr will stick out north of 200bhp. Don’t know of any 1300 doing that without a turbo.

Trying to get a real 200bhp out of a pinto 2.0l engine is really hard, so many people think they have until they go on a engine brake and find they are in the 190's at best, open it up to 2.1 and you have more of a chance, the basic design of the engine is flawed, the ports are too big and the bottom of the port is too low

Shooter

#11 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 06:39 PM

Trying to get a real 200bhp out of a pinto 2.0l engine is really hard, so many people think they have until they go on a engine brake and find they are in the 190's at best, open it up to 2.1 and you have more of a chance, the basic design of the engine is flawed, the ports are too big and the bottom of the port is too low

Shooter

I have to say my 2.1 was good for 155bhp running twin 45’s and that engine came as a kit in the late 80’s (RJD Engineering). Even then 200bhp for a 2.1 was very hard work but obviously that really did depend on the builder and the quality of the parts bought. Things have moved on but yes the fundamental flaws in the Pinto still remain.

#12 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:34 PM

To bring this slightly back on line, there is a guy who has a few sump conversion castings if anybody fancies doing a x flow lotus twin cam conversion

Shooter

#13 Spherix

Spherix

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Netherlands

Posted 05 January 2021 - 05:19 PM

Still talking to the owner, seems a heavy duty mini clutch and LSD was installed at some point by the creator, but then sat for 20 years. Current owner aint getting around to it either, I may just end up buying it for the coolness factor.

Are you all sure its a Pinto block? The head seems to match, but I can only find them with the dizzy on the other side (at the inlet). Im not familiar with Ford engines, so I'll ask if theres any engine codes to go with it as well.

#14 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

That looks like a conversion to move the dizzy to the other side of the engine. Is that a dry sump pump?

#15 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:14 PM

It looks like a dry sump pump with distributor take off on the other side, and the normal place for a distributor has been cut off and a blanking plate put over it.

The distributor won't fit the normal place because it hits the subframe turret.

Bit in RED removed and blanked off.

Attached File  Pinto Block Mod.jpg   69.38K   1 downloads

Edited by stoneface, 05 January 2021 - 06:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users