11 replies to this topic

#1 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:17 PM

So as the title says I'm in the process of putting a supercharger on my 1275 metro engined mini I've brought a kit second had that originally ran on an a series but not a mini so the intake pipe between the carb and charger is all wrong. My question is does it matter what the new pipe I make up is built from? I've thought through 3 options, 1. build it up out of 2inch exhaust sections the main problem I see with this is when welding pipe how do you keep the inside smooth so as not to cause turbulent air flow also my welding is the weakest area of my mini journey.
2.build it out of 2 inch copper the advantages are soldering lays flat on both sides and its more resistant to corrosion. Not sure on negatives
3. Build it out of ally sleeved with silicone obviously the easiest but not sure on how good a final product it'd be considering fuel ect be sucked through at pressure.
Anyone with any knowledge on this could give me a steer would be much appreciated
Cheers

#2 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:54 PM

I wouldn’t worry too much about turbulent air flow into the super charger. Just get a length of tube, cut it into 50mm long sections and practice welding it together.

#3 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:08 PM

Any thoughts on using copper?

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 28 December 2020 - 09:51 PM

Personally i'd not over think the material of the inlet. Your issue is going to be it freezing due to the carb placement.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:00 PM

Point 3, “ sucked through at pressure” does not make sense. If it is sucked it is tending to vacuum before charger, Pressure implied after the charger.

re the inside. Use length that allow you to grind out the inside if it is really bad.

or just buy some bends and join it with silicon pipe.  But it all kinda depends on your actual lay out.

#6 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:32 PM

Personally i'd not over think the material of the inlet. Your issue is going to be it freezing due to the carb placement.

OK mate, I've had carb freeze on a race kart but as soon as you get up to temp it sorts its self. What's the issues caused on a classic mini had how'd you go about tackling then to improve the issue?
Cheers

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:29 PM

OK mate, I've had carb freeze on a race kart but as soon as you get up to temp it sorts its self. What's the issues caused on a classic mini had how'd you go about tackling then to improve the issue?
Cheers

It won't sort itself on a mini. The best solution has been to wrap copper tube round it and feed it from the tap on the cylinder head.

Like this:

https://images.app.g...bJ9tpXYfGgyZvy9

#8 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 04:23 PM

Cheers
It won't sort itself on a mini. The best solution has been to wrap copper tube round it and feed it from the tap on the cylinder head.

Like this:

Ahh so you've plumbed it in to the cooling system basically. While I've got your knowledge on hand Steve the other issue I wanted to give so thought to is intake temps which apparently saw on on a super charger. I've heat wrapped the exhaust to reduce cross over is there any other tips and tricks I could/should be trying? Cheers

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 29 December 2020 - 04:28 PM

Wrapping manifolds on the Mini is not good. It pulls the carbon to the surface and embrittles the steel causing it to fail. 

#10 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:33 PM

Yeah alright

#11 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:43 PM

Cheers

Like this:

Ahh so you've plumbed it in to the cooling system basically. While I've got your knowledge on hand Steve the other issue I wanted to give so thought to is intake temps which apparently saw on on a super charger. I've heat wrapped the exhaust to reduce cross over is there any other tips and tricks I could/should be trying? Cheers

As Nick has said, don't bother with the exhaust manifold. Personally, i'd get the inlet manifold ceramic coated inside and out.

#12 malc_west

malc_west

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:19 PM

Yeah I researched the manifold thing il be unwrapping before the final build up. Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users