2 replies to this topic

#1 Riz_Mini

Riz_Mini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

Right new the whole Mini car ownership and just after some basic advice...

Car idle`s lumpy but the rev needle isnt jumping up or down, normal?

When in either 1st or 2nd gear free reving the engine with no braking going very slow speeds the car can sometimes jolt forwards and backwards asthought it doesnt like to be revved too low, i.e. runs fine when about 1500rpms.

Im using 95/96ron normal unleaded at the moment, would using 98/99ron make any difference, please not im running the JC Works S tuned engine.

Engine temp never goes about the middle marker, normal? sometimes its actually below it.

Oil temp takes sometimes to warm up...... normal?

Sorry for all the questions...

Riz ;)

#2 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

Car idle`s lumpy but the rev needle isnt jumping up or down, normal?

When in either 1st or 2nd gear free reving the engine with no braking going very slow speeds the car can sometimes jolt forwards and backwards asthought it doesnt like to be revved too low, i.e. runs fine when about 1500rpms.

I would say yes both those are 'normal' for a mini but I havent had an injection model before ;)

Im using 95/96ron normal unleaded at the moment, would using 98/99ron make any difference, please not im running the JC Works S tuned engine.

Not a huge difference, to take advantage of higher octane ratings you really have to mess about with the timing but whatever floats your boat, stick some in and see if it makes any difference

Engine temp never goes about the middle marker, normal? sometimes its actually below it.

Oil temp takes sometimes to warm up...... normal?

Yes both normal

Welcome to the world of Mini's !

#3 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

i always seemed to notice twin point minis running very rough at tickover!! tho i think if u give them a rev and let them settle they should be fine!!

they mite run better on higher octane motion lotion but 95 ron shud be fine!!

it mite pay you to ring up and ask jcgarages a few questions as they will probably know best whats up if anything is at all!!

1 last thing i've heard twinpoints because of this occasional rough running at tickover they can destrol top engine steadies in a very short space of time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users