#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:12 PM

Given the relative small size of the Hearer Core (Matrix), I feel it really won't make any difference which way it's plumbed.

Sounds like there's either an air pocket or a blockage in the flow path somewhere to me.

#17 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

What's the best way to purge air from the system?  I never had a problem on previous Minis which is why I wondered if having the matrix plumbed the other way round would make a difference.  I just used to fill it up and run the engine on a fast idle until the 'stat opened at which point the level would drop, topped it up, left it running a bit longer at normal idle speed and finally put the cap on.

#18 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

What's the best way to purge air from the system?

I've had success on mine with this method, though great care needs to be taken while doing it this way.

If you have any doubts about your competency, do not use this method!

As suggested above, engine cold, unclip the hose and backfill with a funnel.

Identify the return hose in the engine bay. It'll be slower to heat up or wont heat up.

Loosen off the hose clip to it, in the engine bay. When the system is up to temperature and, therefore under pressure, turn the engine off.

Very carefully push the hose at an angle to the joint until you can hear any gas escaping. Hold it under tension until all the air is purged and you get liquid. Re-tighten the hose clip and test drive to see if the heater is improved

It may take a couple of goes to purge all the air.

Good luck!

It is important that you do not let the hose blow off, as that may lead to scalding injuries.

#19 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:52 PM

Could do with one of these to fit 1/2" hose.

#20 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 09:36 PM

Just realised I never posted the solution.  I swapped the hoses so the hot coolant was going into the bottom of the matrix but it made no difference.  Eventually I noticed what the problem was though.  Imack mentioned about straight hose kinking when forced into to tight a radius and that's what had happened so it was like having the heater tap almost shut off.  I remedied it with a 1/2" 180o bend from Ebay.  I got the heater working nicely for the summer!

#21 sparkymae

sparkymae

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 18 February 2022 - 12:39 AM

A 90 degree Dayco hose might work @ the heater, part # 80404 in 1/2 in. to prevent it from kinking, but not sure it would be long enough to reach the shut off valve. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users