8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:38 PM

Thing is, because i have 8.4 disc's on the front , i also have shos on the rear, so 10" wheels wont fit.
So what to i change ? the front and the back, or just the from breaks..? to get 10s on thanks ;)

#2 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:06 AM

you have what of the back?? spacered or standard drums on the back should allow fitment of 10" wheels regardless!

as for the fronts as per another post i believe u need the cooper drive flanges, discs and calipers!! the rest is pretty much identical!!

#3 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

or do the fiesta caliper conversion

#4 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

you have what of the back?? spacered or standard drums on the back should allow fitment of 10" wheels regardless!

as for the fronts as per another post i believe u need the cooper drive flanges, discs and calipers!! the rest is pretty much identical!!

Hi,
What do u mean by spacered ?
Im sure there drums. errm, well i dont know 100% as i brought the car from someone.
So i need the cooper drive flanges, discs and calipers then. could someone give u a link on this please so i know where im at. plus are they easy enough to fit..and what size are the cooper disc's 7.5 inch thanks... ;)

Edited by Mark1275GT, 02 November 2006 - 10:40 AM.

#5 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:42 AM

There have been so many threads on this recently, even I've posted one :D Try a search, you'll find most, if not all the answers ;) look ubder the rear wheel, if you cans a drum, I would bet large amounts of money you will have drums,.. running disks on back is useless.

Spacered drums were introduced from 1984 i believe, increasing the rear track by 3/4", Spacered drums, as the name suggest, have a spacer, it is cast as part of the drum, normal drums simply have a flat face, spacered ones do not as the spacer protrudes.

10's will fit over any drum. Apart from some 'Minifin' copies that apparently only fit under 12s+

I'm going to be converting from drum to disks too as i need more breaking but want to keep my 10" wheels :w00t: I shall buy a normal disk set-up and then convert them down with different calipers and disks. Be it fiesta or not.. not sure yet!

Edited by Retro_10s, 02 November 2006 - 10:49 AM.

#6 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:50 AM

There have been so many threads on this recently, even I've posted one :D Try a search, you'll find most, if not all the answers ;)

Ok will do :w00t:
Would it be better to put 7.5 cooper discs all round. and would the breaking be ok, as mines 1980, and of course they put the 8.4 discs to accomodate non-servo. and mine of course has no sever. or what sort of upgrade breaks all round would u say that would be v.good for better breaking. but also fit 10's lol.
sorry just need to learn more. but ill try a serach as well :D thanks ..

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

You don't need disks on the back! Even miglias run Drums on the back! the disk conversion for the rear is really just for weight saving.

Just put disks on the front and leave your rear brakes well alone.
No need for a servo either

what sort of upgrade breaks all round would u say that would be v.good for better breaking

If you want tens and disks on front, there are two easy options, cooper S setup, or turned down 8.4 disks and differnt calipers i.e. fiesta mk1-2 ones.

stainless wound flexi hoses are good for a nice firm pedal and slightly more response, as the the std rubber ones expand when you pump the pedal.

New brake cylinders on the back.

Mintex rear shoes have alwys performed well for me, but ferodo are good too.

Edited by Retro_10s, 02 November 2006 - 11:18 AM.

#8 Mark1275GT

Mark1275GT

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

You don't need disks on the back! Even miglias run Drums on the back! the disk conversion for the rear is really just for weight saving.

Just put disks on the front and leave your rear brakes well alone.
No need for a servo either

what sort of upgrade breaks all round would u say that would be v.good for better breaking

If you want tens and disks on front, there are two easy options, cooper S setup, or turned down 8.4 disks and differnt calipers i.e. fiesta mk1-2 ones.

stainless wound flexi hoses are good for a nice firm pedal and slightly more response, as the the std rubber ones expand when you pump the pedal.

New brake cylinders on the back.

Mintex rear shoes have alwys performed well for me, but ferodo are good too.

Cool, thanks for that Retro ;)
I learn something new every day. lol

#9 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:59 PM

the disk conversion for the rear is really just for weight saving.

against a setup that uses genuine minifins, is thre really any saving of weight??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users