38 replies to this topic

#31 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:02 AM

It looks like its now very close. I like the idea above could you get some spacer flanges made up to push the manifold back further from the head? It doesnt look like you would need much. You would of course also need to space the nut side of the exhaust flanges by the same amount to get the nuts to clamp both manifolds still

Bit then you may have issues with the scuttle panel.
Looking at the pictures it seems like there is ample room though.

#32 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 11:14 AM

It looks like its now very close. I like the idea above could you get some spacer flanges made up to push the manifold back further from the head? It doesnt look like you would need much. You would of course also need to space the nut side of the exhaust flanges by the same amount to get the nuts to clamp both manifolds still

There are no pictures that show the scuttle panel or how close the carb is to it???

#33 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

There are no pictures that show the scuttle panel or how close the carb is to it???
3rd post previous page.
If the inlet doesn’t touch the bulkhead carb won’t touch.
Scuttle won’t be a problem due to carb size. Pic shows how deep down the manifold sits too.

Edited by Dusky, 07 January 2021 - 02:27 PM.

#34 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:33 PM

If he attempts to space the manifold off the head to get the clearance (who knows how much will be needed), then Nick's comment is valid - you don't know where the manifold, carb or more precisely the air filter arrangement will end up

Edited by GraemeC, 07 January 2021 - 02:36 PM.

#35 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

If he attempts to space the manifold off the head to get the clearance (who knows how much will be needed), then Nick's comment is valid - you don't know where the manifold, carb or more precisely the air filter arrangement will end up

And I remember mine being very close to the shuttle panel.  But again not the same manifold and I had to bulge the bonnet and even after a rolling road session it was not as good as an SU. Yeh it worked but I if I had these troubles getting it to fit I would have been seriously pissed.

#36 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:32 PM

My manifold is different to that

iUneRTw.jpg

#37 a lonely peanut

a lonely peanut

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:54 PM

My manifold is different again and sits further back towards the bulkhead. When I had the ITG on, there was around 2" between the scuttle and the air filter. I think there is a little more space with the K&N, I don't have a picture of that but it is the same as Carlos W. It does become a rather tall assembly though and air filter choice has a large impact on clearances.

AFzUStK.jpg

8l0SmDj.jpg?1

Edited by a lonely peanut, 07 January 2021 - 07:54 PM.

#38 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:00 PM

If you really want to use the 28/36 DCD then your restricted on your options which way to proceed, I ran one on a 998 cooper and then changed back to the  twin 1 1/4s SU and the initial throttle response was sharper on the SUs. I then went down the route of DCOEs because I wanted one, no other reason. Finally on my 1330 settling on a HIF44 with stub stack, Its wasn't a weber but it works very well, even though on road testing and needle adjustment took a week.

N.B On my 998 Cooper I ran the standard manifold so didn't incur any fitting issues.

Edited by KernowCooper, 14 January 2021 - 10:02 PM.

#39 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:10 PM

If you really want to use the 28/36 DCD then your restricted on your options which way to proceed, I ran one on a 998 cooper and then changed back to the  twin 1 1/4s SU and the initial throttle response was sharper on the SUs. I then went down the route of DCOEs because I wanted one, no other reason. Finally on my 1330 settling on a HIF44 with stub stack, Its wasn't a weber but it works very well, even though on road testing and needle adjustment took a week.

N.B On my 998 Cooper I ran the standard manifold so didn't incur any fitting issues.

I think many of us have done similar. And yet people still and try and do something different. All mine were done on the same engine. Was a rather expensive few months rolling road cost to come to the conclusions I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users