18 replies to this topic

#1 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Hi All, as above, do any of you lovely people know of this car?

https://www.ebay.co....g-/124513689048

It's apparently the work of Mini Bristol Minis (no longer with us). I seem to remember them being known for good work?

Any help gratefully received, it would be a great car to have, but at the absolute top of my budget, so keen for any info

Thanks in advance!

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:00 PM

It looks good, although some will not like the more modern elements to a period classic. I would however question whether legally it can be declared MOT exempt. In my view the MPi engine, electrics, uprated suspension mean it has had substantial modifications. Having to have it MOTed though is not a major concern.

#3 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:31 PM

MBM were like most dealers, some had good experiences like me (but in 1997) others thought they were dodgy.

For this money, I’d want an original car, as RedRuby says, an Mpi engine and electrics isn’t right and dubious and hence worth less than if it’s had a period correct engine and interior and wheels. In my humble opinion this won’t rise in value like a regular one and could be hard to sell on, and would cost a fortune to put right.

I’d look elsewhere if I were you.

#4 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:39 PM

Its a lovely car but £10 grand too expensive.Larger capacity motors of the same type and brake modifications should not count as substantial modifications re MOT exemption as I understand the rules,but I am sometimes wrong.Steve..

#5 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:44 PM

https://www.ebay.co....4.m46890.l49292

This is more my cup of tea if you want a modern twist

Or this if you don’t

https://www.ebay.co....4.m46890.l49292

Edited by steeley, 06 January 2021 - 06:45 PM.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:45 PM

Depends what you want, if you want the classic 'Woody' looks but to drive like a modern MPi Mini with greater refinement and comfort then this could be ideal for you, but not if you want the full early Mini experience along with the drawbacks of an older Mini.

#7 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:08 PM

Sorry, you were asking for information about the car and not what people think of it but personally I like it a lot, all of the fun without having to play with the choke knob like it was a trombone and having enough power to overtake things and enough brakes to slow you down when you run out of road and not having to adjust the timing when you have a crap batch of fuel, nice seats, nice dash, just nice.

If you are not a driver but more of a collector it may not be right for you but one thing I have learned watching Fast and loud is modern fuel injection systems sell classic cars to the general public and if Rover reintroduced the Countryman in the late 90`s that would have been it

Her in doors won`t drive any of mine anymore due to the choke, hard brakes and the on/off switch that is the throttle pedal............but that`s a good thing  ;D 

#8 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:42 PM

Definitely not a collector, would like to daily it.

Anyone know if the folding garages that people for use for minis are long enough for a Countryman?

#9 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:00 PM

I have the folding cover shown in the link for my GT, there is approximately 300mm clearance at the front  if the back bumper is tight against the cover.

https://www.google.c...FYAysLAJaRhYP8-

#10 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

It's apparently the work of Mini Bristol Minis (no longer with us). I seem to remember them being known for good work?

Any help gratefully received, it would be a great car to have, but at the absolute top of my budget, so keen for any info

Thanks in advance!

I think that looks fantastic but have no idea on value. However, it is worth what ever somebody is prepared to pay. 

#11 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:52 AM

I have the folding cover shown in the link for my GT, there is approximately 300mm clearance at the front if the back bumper is tight against the cover.
https://www.google.c...FYAysLAJaRhYP8-

Thanks, looks like it might just go

#12 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 January 2021 - 09:05 AM

Thanks in advance!

I think that looks fantastic but have no idea on value. However, it is worth what ever somebody is prepared to pay. 

Price seems very reasonable for what's on offer.

Edited by mab01uk, 07 January 2021 - 09:05 AM.

#13 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:31 AM

Another thing that occurred to me, I wonder if the airbag is connected. I’m not familiar with the airbag sensors on MPI cars, but I wonder how easy it is to transfer over to a car that obviously never had one, and therefore is it legal and safe to retrofit?

Edited by beardylondon, 07 January 2021 - 10:57 AM.

#14 vx220

vx220

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:32 PM

I assume that the whole MPi loom will be in there, including sensors (and that damned fuse box)

#15 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 01:35 PM

Someone may correct me, but I was under the impression the airbag worked along with the seatbelts etc, worth asking the seller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users