16 replies to this topic

#1 Henrique Conceição

Henrique Conceição

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:16 AM

I have just bought an old Mini1275 GT. It is old because is from 1972 but is almost brand new as it is in a great condition with less than 30.000 miles.
I know that the older owner changed the oil recently to a synthetic oil 10w40 but I think that oil is not the most suitable for such an old car. Anyone can help me? What oil is the most proper oil to use? Any advice on a specific brand?
Thank you so much for all. From Portugal, Henrique Conceição, a Mini lover since I was a child.

#2 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:20 AM

A 20w50 oil is more suited to an old A series engine. I prefer Millers Mini sport oil which is formulated to suit the mini's combined engine and gearbox. Your GT sounds interesting post a few photos up!

#3 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

Only use 20 50.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

I recommend Valvoline VR1 or the Millers equivalent. Always use 20w50 oil with a high ZDDP level and low detergent

Edited by cal844, 13 January 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#5 Richard e

Richard e

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:57 PM

I have a 1985 998cc. The driver's handbook, which came with the car when new, says use BLS.22.OL.02, MIL-L-46152A or API SE or SF quality - matching viscosity to local temperature range. So for -10c to 40c, which is pretty much the UK temperature extremes, use 10W/30 or 10W/40. That said, my car has 20/50 in it, but in this recent cold weather it's too thick (crank speed is slow yet battery etc all okay). What do you think?

#6 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:26 PM

I recommend Valvoline VR1 or the Millers equivalent. Always use 20w50 oil with a high ZDDP level and low detergent

+1

#7 Miki Leyland

Miki Leyland

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:04 PM

"Valvoline Vr1" or "Millers Classic Mini Oil"

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:46 PM

+1 more.

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:30 PM

I have a 1985 998cc. The driver's handbook, which came with the car when new, says use BLS.22.OL.02, MIL-L-46152A or API SE or SF quality - matching viscosity to local temperature range. So for -10c to 40c, which is pretty much the UK temperature extremes, use 10W/30 or 10W/40. That said, my car has 20/50 in it, but in this recent cold weather it's too thick (crank speed is slow yet battery etc all okay). What do you think?

I know that Rover changed the documentation to specify 10/40 instead of 20/50 purely as a cost cutting exercise.

You can clean and check all wiring connections to the starter, earth's etc as required.

What's the voltage drop on cranking? My 1980 and 1993 carb cars both fired up first turn of the key last week. Make sure the batteries are of decent size (I use 063 Yuasa brand batteries in my cars, these haven't let me down.

So personally I'd load check the battery (don't use Halfords) I use my local MOT testers machine whom is a good friend.

I also get him to order a fresh battery from his suppliers instead of one that's been on the shelf for months.

Hope this helps

#10 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:41 AM

I personally have used VR1 in my hard used engines for years, it was originally called Valvoline racing and came in a black container.

I also have gone through a fair amount of Minispares own 20w50 and more than a few times hammered my 998 up to 7000 rpm without any issues so it can`t be bad.

As I still use a mini as a daily driver and winter is here I do notice that the thicker oil does take a while to loosen up and I don`t always have the time to sit there for a while and wait for first gear to drop in without resistance so I'm considering chucking in some 10w/40 motorcycle oil just for the winter as I do a lot of short trips and according to this it`s the way to go

https://www.widman.b...ic-mini-oil.pdf

Quite a long read but the guy seems to know his stuff ?

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:44 AM

10w40 isn't the answer but it sure will find the leak points

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

I built an engine for a historic rally car and the owner did the Monte Carlo Historique.
As itgets so very cold in the French Alps in Winter I advised him to use a 5w40 oil. However, he admitted that he had used a 20w50.
After being parked all night at something like -10c he had to start it with the clutch pushed down. Due to the 286 cam, it had to be kept at over 3000 rpm whilst cold and having the clutch down with the pressure being slow to build, the crankshaft thrust bearings picked up and were wrecked.
The subsequent rebuild required +30 thou thrusts, ground down to suit the reground crank thrust faces.
It would have been a bit cheaper to have used thinner oil.

#13 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:42 PM

I built an engine for a historic rally car and the owner did the Monte Carlo Historique.
As itgets so very cold in the French Alps in Winter I advised him to use a 5w40 oil. However, he admitted that he had used a 20w50.
After being parked all night at something like -10c he had to start it with the clutch pushed down. Due to the 286 cam, it had to be kept at over 3000 rpm whilst cold and having the clutch down with the pressure being slow to build, the crankshaft thrust bearings picked up and were wrecked.
The subsequent rebuild required +30 thou thrusts, ground down to suit the reground crank thrust faces.
It would have been a bit cheaper to have used thinner oil.

Or to have put a sump heater underneath it.

#14 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:55 PM

Henrique, I'm not sure what you can find in Portugal but as said, you want a mineral oil of 20W50 or 20W60 with a high level of ZDDP (I use 20W60 Penrite Classic oil) but Valvoline VR1 is very popular here in the UK.  Minispares sell their own brand oil http://www.minispare...|Back to search at a good price

#15 Tds76

Tds76

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:44 PM

Penrite also do a Mini specific oil which I've been using for the last few changes. 

https://www.penriteo...-20w-50-mineral

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users