9 replies to this topic

#1 zkap

zkap

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

I am looking to purchase this mini which has undergone full restoration by a previous owner. I do not like the look of the bulky wheel arches and would like to replace them after i buy the car.

From the pictures do you think these have been glued or welded on? How easy would it be to fit standard sized black plastic arches?

Attached Files

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:09 AM

Those look suspiciously like late model Sportspack (or style) arches that may have been blended into the body, in which case the rears should be straightforward to remove and the bodywork rectified, but the fronts may have had the wings cut to allow wheel clearance. Do you have any photographs of the front arches?

Depending on what you plan to fit in place, or leave off completely, you'll also need to rethink the wheel offset.

Edited by Bobbins, 13 January 2021 - 11:11 AM.

#3 zkap

zkap

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:19 AM

Yes, not the best images but here they are

Attached Files

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

It may be the quality of the photograph, but area 'A' looks a little off. Area 'B' suggests there's a lot of filler in there. Check the inside of the wing to try to establish if the arch has been "trimmed", but I'd be tempted to go over the whole car with a magnet.

Attached Files

#5 elliot341

elliot341

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:46 PM

Yes, not the best images but here they are

Hi zkap, if I'm honest I think that car is hiding a multitude of sins. I'm fairly local to you (I'm in Blackrod) shame with lockdown I could have a look if it was a local car. Essentially there looks like a lot of filler all over that car. You might be lucky and there is no rust underneath the blended in arches but I wouldnt bet on it. I would say that over time the filler will crack and it wont look great on the scuttle, front panel and where the arches meet the wings/quarter panel. And rust will start coming thru too. Unless there are detailed resto pics showing u exactly what has been done I'd steer clear. You are looking at a lot of work to remove wings, tidy up and fit new wings, plus any other nasties you find when you remove the arches.

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

I also think there is a whole world of pain waiting for someone with that car.If you want a project and it is priced accordingly?.I would have driven past that.Steve..

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:04 AM

There is full restoration and there is patch up and blow over.

This looks like the latter from what is shown in the photos.
I wouldn't trust the quality at all when you start seeing things like body seams that have been filled over.

Of course, it may be solid and rust free underneath the paint.
I would go right over it inside and out before considering purchasing it

#8 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:24 AM

Tonnes of filler wouldn’t touch it unless very cheap sooner have one that’s abit scabby but honest

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

#10 zkap

zkap

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 08:57 PM

Thank you everyone, especially Elliott who offered the possibility to view the car. Good news is I chose not to proceed with the purchase. I’ll stay clear of a patch up resto like this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users