5 replies to this topic

#1 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:20 PM

Searched quite a few times for this and see there are many debates over reaming honing and correct manner to do this job but don't seem able to find any info on the correct size reamer to use? Anyone advise?? Measured the old valve stem at 7.07mm --- 9/32 imperial would be the closest. But is that correct???

Thanks

Rob

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:40 PM

I use a 9/32" reamer.

Honing is better than reaming, but for just about anything one would be doing with an A Series Engine, Reaming them is fine.

#3 Project_1275_GT

Project_1275_GT

Speeding Along Now

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:56 PM

I use a 9/32" reamer.

Honing is better than reaming, but for just about anything one would be doing with an A Series Engine, Reaming them is fine.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure with a steady hand and a good reamer it should be fine. Reamer now ordered 

#4 weef

weef

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:07 PM

Be careful in your use of hand reamers. Reamers are designed to give a smooth true bore and typically it is only 1 or 2 thou they are designed to remove. Removal of more excess can lead to chattering and leave a wavy finish. The reamer rotation  should not be reversed and it is best to pass the reamer right through the bore and out the bottom, the reduced shank allowing this. Reamers do not self feed so keep a steady pressure, use a good cutting oil and go slowly. 

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:59 AM

It is 9/32".

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:38 PM

. Reamers are designed to give a smooth true bore and typically it is only 1 or 2 thou they are designed to remove.

Yes, I agree that Reamers are only for a few thou of material removal and in these sizes, those numbers would be typical. I'd also say if they need more than that, get better guides to start with, however, a 9/32" Drill Bit can be run through first, then Reamed. General Jobbing Drill Bits are never on size but always under.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users