29 replies to this topic

#16 T.Harper

T.Harper

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:46 PM

These are baffle/overflow holes.  Normally the only concern for these should be checking that they aren't bunged up, nor overflowing during driving.  Some are big, some small.  Some have a copper pipe and can be re routed towards the floor.

If it is pi55ing fuel then you've got a problem with the float set up in the bowl, which could be the needle valve not seating/being damaged/having dirt in it, or issues with the float, or the height of the float itself.  An overflowing carb bowl will make the carb run richer than normal because the fuel level will be higher up the jet.  Your first concern however should be addressing why it's leaking, so pop it off, clean it, and have a play with a bit of rubber pipe/glass of water etc. 

Once that is sorted, the next step would be to check for vacuum leaks around carb - manifold and manifold to head.  Easy done and can cause crap idle.

Then look at tuning.  Get your ignition timing in the right ball park and then look at the needles - unless it is completely standard and near factory condition then the needles might need swapping/modifying.  If there aren't many a series experts nearby then contact one from UK for advice on best needles/some custom needles.

#17 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:39 AM

Great Harper !!

#18 steeley

steeley

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:22 AM

This is the spec Haynes gives for the twin carb 1275 Cooper

Mini Cooper S Mk III, 1275 cc, (12H) 1969 on
Carburettor type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Twin SU HS2
Piston spring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Red
Jet size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.3 mm
Needle:
Standard . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . M
Rich . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AH2
Weak . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EB
Idle speed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600 rpm
Fast idle speed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1000 rpm

Setting of H type carburetters

Centralising the Jet, Base Setting and Using The Lifting Pin

After the correct operating temperature has been attained, close the throttle completely by unscrewing the throttle adjusting screw until it is just clear of its stop. Open it by screwing down this screw 1 1/2 turns.
The piston and suction chamber should now be removed and the mixture control wire disconnected. Screw the jet adjusting nut until the jet is flush with the bridge of the carburetter, or 'full up' if this position is not obtainable. Replace the piston and suction chamber assembly and check that the piston falls freely on to the bridge of the carburetter. Turn down the jet adjusting nut two complete turns (12 flats). Re-start the engine and adjust the throttle adjusting screw to give the desired idling speed as indicated by the ignition warning light. Turn the jet adjusting nut until me fastest idling speed is obtained consistent with even firing. During this adjustment it is necessary to ensure that the jet is pressed upwards and is in contact with its adjusting nut. As the mixture is adjusted the engine will probably run faster; it may therefore be necessary to unscrew the throttle adjusting screw a little in order to reduce the speed.

Using The Lifting Pin, or Some SUs have none so use a small screwdriver to lift the slide

Check the mixture strength by lifting the carburetter piston (by means of the lift pin situated on the side of the carburetter body) by approximately 1/32 in., when if

(1) The engine speed increases and continues to run faster, the mixture is too rich.

(2) The engine speed immediately decreases, the mixture is too weak.

(3) The engine speed momentarily increases very slightly, the mixture is correct.

When the mixture is correct the exhaust note should be regular and even. If it is irregular, with a splashy type of misfire and colourless exhaust, the mixture is too weak. If there is a regular or rhythmical type of misfire, together with a blackish exhaust, then the mixture is too rich. Reconnect the mixture control wire with approximately 1/16 in free movement before it starts to pull on me jet lever. Set the mixture control knob on the dash pot to its maximum movement without moving the carburetter jet (about 5/8 in.) and adjust the fast idling cam screw to give an engine speed of between 800-1000 rev/min (when hot). When setting the slow running of a vehicle, consideration of the type of power unit fitted should be made.

Engines with large valve overlap will require a fast idle and it will be difficult to obtain an extremely smooth tickover.

I have gy needles in mine and they run really well

Are they balanced correctly, I balanced mine with gunsons balancer

https://www.demon-tw...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#19 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

Thanks a lot friend. Fantastic answer. Most of these things I already know because although you may think that I am a newbie to the classic Mini, I have had it since 1992. Even if I used a Hif44 for a while.

I am happy with the GY needles and I also have the Gunson Car Balancer.

Cheers!

#20 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:04 PM

* And now something curious. When there is plenty of fuel in the tank, in this cold weather I need less time to start the engine. 5 or 6 attempts. When the petrol is low in the tank, it takes 10 or 12 tries to start the engine. Obviously, with the starter control completely pulled.

#21 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:09 PM

With a full tank the pump doesn't have to work as hard to draw the fuel through

#22 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:38 PM

General view

20210119-151117-HDR.jpg

Left side. Big hole. Always with that green substance on the lid. I changed the shut-off valve and adjusted the float. But it never goes well. Now I have a new lid.

20210119-150716-HDR.jpg

Right side. Small hole. Perfect.

20210119-150126-HDR.jpg

#23 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:34 PM

Cinquenta - Madre Mia - muy caro

#24 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:38 PM

The baffle covers will however stop any s h one t getting in. The float lids are about £22 with around £6.95 postage as an idea.

Well, I've paid a little more. 50pounds included VAT + shipping to Spain.

https://www.morrismi...oat-hs2-p830672

Regards

Cinquenta - Madre Mia - muy caro

#25 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,407 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:18 AM

Don't be concerned by the vent holes. I expect it's just a manufacturing revision for later versions that had hose connections - standardisation. Odds on you'll find the actual hole, on the inside of the lid, is the same.

Your Mini is a giant U tube - raising the level of fuel in the tank raises the level (or at least pressure) at the engine end of the fuel line. Going downhill, you could probably manage without a fuel pump at all.

#26 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Ethel. A pleasure to read your answers. So ... I don't drill the small hole to leave its diameter the same as the other one to improve the performance?

kind regards!

#27 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:54 PM

The green stuff bothers me,is the pipe breaking up?is the fuel in the bowl green?the top of the chamber should always be dry so other problems are indicated(leaky pipe?leaky float valve?brass pipe leaking where it enters lid/).Have you connected the carb breathers to each other?Just a few random thoughts,Steve..

#28 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:09 PM

Cheers Steve, thanks for your reply! This fuel that I use (98 Oct. The most expensive in my country) has a slightly green color, but on the other cap (small hole) this green substance has never accumulated. As I said earlier, I have a 'new' lid ready to be fit on.

20210120-160534-HDR.jpg
update image

What really worries me is the difference in diameter in the hole of each fload lid.

#29 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:37 PM

The size difference will have no effect at all,it is not a problem.Steve..

#30 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

Cheers Steve!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users