#1 Avionyx

Avionyx

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 06:19 PM

Hi All,

I'm Alex and I've got a 1987 Mini bought a few years ago, along with a couple of friends, which I wasn't really in the market for but saw it and it was crying out for rescue. It's been in storage until I was ready to tackle it and that time has finally come.

It had a full shell restoration in (I'm told) early 2011 when some modifications where done as a demonstration car for a company offering body kits and hinge conversions.
The way it looks really isn't my cup of tea and I would like to return it to more of a classic rally themed spec suitable for road rallies.

I've had some classic's before, and driven plenty of Minis but never owned one (closest I've got was a same era Metro) so I'm looking forward to it.

I suspect I've got quite a lot of ripping out and panel replacing to do but the shell is solid, even with 10 years of storage under it's belt but the engine and other mechanics need a full going over.

Here's some pics of the car as it was when it was completed. It's now pretty much the same just with a bit more dust on it!

Attached File  HelpMe3.png   73.83K   9 downloadsAttached File  HelpMe2.png   74.46K   9 downloadsAttached File  HelpMe1.png   47.81K   5 downloads

Like I said, really not my taste but someone must have spent a lot of money to get it to that...state.

Let it's recovery begin....any thoughts and help much appreciated.

#2 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:22 PM

Some people have poor taste.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

#3 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:26 PM

Poor thing.  There's a few of us in Sussex.  Where are you?

#4 Avionyx

Avionyx

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Floormanager I'm in Hastings, are there any local Mini Clubs worth joining?

Alex

#5 MiniMadRacer

MiniMadRacer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:45 PM

I like the doors, if they work as intended thats a hell of a lot of work to "undo".... I would keep that feature

#6 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

Hi another Sussex based Alex  ;D 

As for local groups I can't say there are many that are active, I think Bexhill is the most active but haven't explored it. Eastbourne apparently has one but I went to one meeting once a few years back and was the only one that turned up in a mini... 

Looking forward to seeing your progress though and potentially passing you on the road in the future! 

#7 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

A few of us belong to this one

http://www.miniclubsussex.co.uk/

We're a bit amateur but likeable.  A bit far for you I think.  We have members from Eastbourne and west to Worthing.

There's one in Eastbourne, I do not know anything about them

http://www.edmc.co.uk/

The Kent MCR is a very active club.  I go to their organised events (before Lockdown)

https://www.minicoop...eetings/page-1/

Edited by floormanager, 18 January 2021 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users