13 replies to this topic

#1 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:38 PM

Anyone can help me figure out why my coil + wire has melted itself twice. I have a brand new Aldon yellow points dizzy and a pertronix flame thrower coil. I was gonna check my timing. I was setting my idle and the engine died and immediately it started to melt before I could turn the key off. I’m thinking the pertronix flame thrower coil is to strong on a coil to use with points. I also have a Bosch blue coil, will that be better for the Aldon points dizzy?

#2 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

The points will have no effect on the coil current unless the dwell is excessive.If the ign is left on with the points closed then the coil may overheat.Is the melted wire pink and white?Steve..

#3 PACINO

PACINO

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:02 PM

Hello! Things have to be done well. I ... would put some photos here of the Dizzy and the coil, specifying which model it is or saying the reference.

The Pertronix coil is very powerful, and you may have to fit a resistance in order not to burn anything. But without adding more details, it is difficult to give a verdict.

Regards

#4 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:36 PM

I have known points to burn, but never the wire itself, I am sure some one could shed some light

Too long ago for me to remember, I do however remember it was to to with the coil and the ballasted ignition system, but can't remember which way around it was

30 years ago

#5 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:30 PM

The points will have no effect on the coil current unless the dwell is excessive.If the ign is left on with the points closed then the coil may overheat.Is the melted wire pink and white?Steve..

no pink and white, just white as I don’t have a ballast ignition.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:30 PM

I've had it where the pink/white gets too hot and takes a section of the loom with it.

#7 RHDmini74

RHDmini74

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:53 PM

I've had it where the pink/white gets too hot and takes a section of the loom with it.

that’s what happened to mine but it’s just the plain white wire from the fuse box to the coil +. I tired to upload a photo but my files are too big lol. Will tray again in a hour when I get home. I’m thinking the pertronix coil is to powerful for the points and melted that wire. I’m gonna try with my Bosch blue coil later

#8 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:35 AM

There is nothing strong about that coil that would make it melt on the low tension side. Looking foreward to see the pics!

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:53 AM

that’s what happened to mine but it’s just the plain white wire from the fuse box to the coil +. I tired to upload a photo but my files are too big lol. Will tray again in a hour when I get home. I’m thinking the pertronix coil is to powerful for the points and melted that wire. I’m gonna try with my Bosch blue coil later

Youll need to upload the image to Flickr or Imgur and copy and paste the BB code to the thread reply

#10 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:17 AM

If the wire is getting hot enough to melt then it's drawing too much current.

It would only do this if it was shorted to earth. The points closing shorts out the Lt circuit, but the resistance of the coil primary winding only allows a few amps to flow.

If the condenser was faulty and had a dead short internally this would have the same effect as the points being closed.

Which wire is melting and Where exactly?

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

Too many currents is the short answer  :P

In practice that means not enough resistance in whatever the wire's feeding. The ignition typically has about 3 ohms all in.

That should all be in the coil's primary winding (between the + & - spade terminals) for your straight forward points system.

If that checks out you'll be looking for other ways the current can complete a circuit while avoiding that resistance.

A short at the +ve terminal. An internal short in the coil (test for continuity between +ve & the body). A short via the HT lead (not particularly likely, but greater if you're using copper leads.

#12 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:17 PM

I'd be checking that coil to see what the resistance actually is ?, to me the white coil + feed wire its got to be over 10amps, Have you checked to ensure the white wire isn't shorting to earth somewhere.

Edited by KernowCooper, 20 January 2021 - 10:19 PM.

#13 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:34 PM

I bet there's a short somewhere

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:18 AM

Having seen the pictures on Facebook I have to agree. It shorted out somewhere. 

I was not in a loom and there were some sharp corners around metal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users