#16 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:51 AM

These are what the LEDs from ClassicCarLEDs look like by the way

I tried some of those less in my mini about 3 years ago, Philip's ZES chips positioned to replicate the position of the H4 filaments- they were very good and gave a very clean beam image cutoff. Mine were typical LED cool white, don't think warm white was an option back then.
I refitted my equally illegal 100/140 watt halogens as I didn't like the cool white colour in a classic car and while the leds were very good they just couldn't match the massive light output of the 100/140 watt halogens.

#17 Pete - W.Sussex

Pete - W.Sussex

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 08:09 AM

As of 1 January 2021, section 4.1.4 of the MOT Inspection manual reads: “Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

-from the Daily Telegraph 27th January

Oh brilliant! I’ve just this week finished fitting the Classic LEDs to an MGC and it wasn’t just a replace the bulb process - the beam pattern is far superior to the halogens they replaced but clearly that doesn’t matter a jot! I was going to do the Mini next. At least the MOT isn’t due until October :wacko:

#18 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

Let’s be honest, MOT testers don’t look at the type of bulb, just the beam pattern. so I would presume a good quality LED bulb, like the ones classic car LEDS sell, would probably pass no issue.

#19 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:58 AM

So as you are about to drive your freshly MOT car off the ramps a Ministry inspector arrives and asks to see a car that has just been tested>>>yours(apparently they can and do this).It is the testers license and livelyhood,some items are subjective and some are clear.Just a thought.Steve..PS they analyse the data of all tests for every tester and could possibly run a program to list all testers who have never failed an LED conversion perhaps?Steve..

#20 beardylondon

beardylondon

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:13 AM

As I said, if the car has the correct beam pattern and traditional light colour, they are hardly going to pull the bulbs for the sake of it, they will more concerned flagging more common Mini fail points that might get missed. Your scenario is of course possible, but highly unlikely.

Edited by beardylondon, 28 January 2021 - 11:14 AM.

#21 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

I can see some validity in that argument. If the tester can't tell they're LEDs by doing what they're allowed to do during the test they can't reasonably be blamed. Like fitting a full body kit over rotten sills.

Can't help wondering though: if an MoT tester can't tell they're not halogens, what's the point in fitting them instead of halogens  :P

Personally, I'd ban all headlights that have a brighter dip beam than 55w Halogen. They're more than adequate for illuminating as far you need to see.

Dip beam is supposedly specified to illuminate 50m: the stopping distance at 50mph.

Every headlight is capable of dazzling other road users in certain conditions, we don't drive on billiard tables.

#22 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:24 PM

Can't help wondering though: if an MoT tester can't tell they're not halogens, what's the point in fitting them instead of halogens :P

This ^^^

I have never seen a reason to want anything brighter than a standard wipac halogen upgrade.

#23 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

Every headlight is capable of dazzling other road users in certain conditions, we don't drive on billiard tables.

Which is why cars fitted with LED and HID have a self levelling system. So as to compensate for load and road conditions. 

can’t say what they always work correctly.

#24 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 01:22 PM

Does the ban also include those god awful halo things?

#25 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

To be fair, I can only applaud this. Being blinded by LED’s is a big nuisance.

#26 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:05 PM

Which is why cars fitted with LED and HID have a self levelling system. So as to compensate for load and road conditions. 

can’t say what they always work correctly.

There's not much point in levelling the headlights when you can't level the road in front of them. It's a logic defying mystery how the problem could be acknowledged by imposing a solution that obviously wouldn't work  :wacko:

#27 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 03:46 PM

I've just finished fitting Land Rover Defender LED units to my Mini. I'm assuming I can get away with keeping these, as it specifically says "existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted..." but no mention of fitting new LED headlamp units altogether? It's just the halogen conversions that are now illegal?  

#28 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:21 PM

I don't think it's a problem if you've fitted a complete LED headlamp unit, its LED's fitted into headlamp units designed for H4s that are the problem.

#29 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:41 PM

I've just finished fitting Land Rover Defender LED units to my Mini. I'm assuming I can get away with keeping these, as it specifically says "existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted..." but no mention of fitting new LED headlamp units altogether? It's just the halogen conversions that are now illegal?  

Can you tell us which units you have fitted?

Do you mind saying where you purchased them?

#30 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 04:47 PM

In the article it mentioned the cost of LED headlights sold as a unit.

My daily driver is a DS3 and has these fitted, nearly a grand each side to replace.

I'm hoping someone will start a 'cottage industry' replacing the failed LED elements in these types of headlights and selling them a lot cheaper.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 28 January 2021 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users